Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking about getting a Magic Shine light, I see they have a new one. Is the 1400 worth the extra cost over the 900? Is there another handlebar mount available? For a budget of around $100 is this the best light?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Check out the TrailLED. Made in the US, excellent reviews and performance for $175. Guaranteed to last AND upgradeable.

http://trailled.com/

·
Registered
79 Posts
No idea about the 1400 model, but I've had the 900 for around a year and I've been very happy with it. It puts out lots of light, has a good burn time, and is really small and lightweight by my standards. The beam pattern works well as a bar mount on the road, or helmet mount offroad. For $100 it is a lot of light-I'd buy another one if the need arose.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
2Slo4U said:
Check out the light forum over on mtbr.com. Some good info over there....

no need... it's a lovefest (except for the DIYers)

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I bought the 900 Magic Shine a few months ago to use for a night time MTB race. I'm getting ready to order another one as it provided a good amount of lighting, but just enough. I run it on a helmet mount, but will put another on the handlebars.

Can't beat it for $90.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've been using a Magicshine 900 for about a year. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would need a brighter light like the 1400. I run my MS on the second highest setting most of the time because the light output is as much as I need and the battery charge lasts longer. Save your money and spend it on something else.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
I've been using a Magicshine 900 for about a year. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone would need a brighter light like the 1400. I run my MS on the second highest setting most of the time because the light output is as much as I need and the battery charge lasts longer. Save your money and spend it on something else.
That would be exactly my advice.

Its the brightest light I've ever owned (I've owned four others). Unless you're riding mountian bikes in the woods in the night, I can't imagine why you'd need something brighter. I blind rinners coming the other direction on the MUT with it (sometimes I'm nice and hold my hand in front of it).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have both the 1400 and 900. I run the 1400 on my bars and the 900 on my helmet for serious night riding. If I was doing the bars only, I'd probabably get the 900. It mounts a little better without a serious reduction in light. It lasts longer on a battery, too.

My biggest tip on the MS lights: when you get them, before you use them, take the screw out of the mounting foot (that holds the light to the mounting foot) and put some blue locktite on it, then screw it back in. Otherwise, the light will fall off at an inopportune time in the near future.

I love my MS. Compared them to a neighbor's Lupine setup, and I think my light pattern was even a bit better!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm looking to get some lights and saw this thread, are you guys buying them directly from the supplier in China or an online store?

·
Registered
163 Posts
He's not a RBR sponsor but is a sponsor on the sister site of MTBR, so I don't think I'm violating anything by telling you to talk to GeoMan:

http://www.geomangear.com/

He basically has a no questions asked warranty and is incredibly helpful. Check out some of the posts on MTBR.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I have 2 900's. I used to have a light and motion seca 400. The magicshine is brighter, and cheaper. I've considered getting the 1400- someone asked why you'd need something brighter-

my commute had 1000 vertical feet in the first 10 miles w/ one 40+ mph descent. Road is not in good shape at all, but I do know it very well- still it would be nice to have a bit more light for that.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have 2 of the original Magic shine lights. For under $100 bucks this is the best light around! I also have a much more expensive DiNotte that hardly gets used because I always grab the MS first. GeoMAn was who I bought mine from and there was a never a problem with them. Quick delivery and excellent packaging.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my MS900 2 months ago. I had used it for two double centuries (one more to go) and like it. It throws out plenty of lights and it is cheap.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
icy said:
Jensons has a mini minewt for $63 100 lumens small and light.
Sorry, had to comment. How is a $63 100 lumen light going to possibly measure up to a $90 900 lumen light? The $ per lumen ratios are nowhere near eachother.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I can honestly say you will be happy with your choice. I just used my Wednesday night after work riding around Irvine and Tustin. People definitely see you coming.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts