Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 20 year old 4 D cell mag light had the batteries corroded into the barrel, I am just ticked because it took me 2 hours to get them out and clean up the inside of the light and now it will take at least over night for the alcohol and residual water to dry out. I plan on spritzing the inside with wd-40 before I close it up again...but on the bright side, I saved its life!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
my 20 year old 4 D cell mag light had the batteries corroded into the barrel, I am just ticked because it took me 2 hours to get them out and clean up the inside of the light and now it will take at least over night for the alcohol and residual water to dry out. I plan on spritzing the inside with wd-40 before I close it up again...but on the bright side, I saved its life!
Convert it to LED while you're at it.

http://maglitesales.com/maglitestor...D-Upgrade-Module-4-Cell-White-C-or-D-SH34DCW6

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
out of stock....but that's a good idea....sucker just eats batteries, I go through a set of 4 every 5 or 6 years.....

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
Use only certain types of batteries in your Maglites - they'll replace the light for free if those brands corrode and ruin it. I can't remember what brands those are.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
700 lumens. don't have to worry about burglars. Shine that baby in their eyes in the middle of the night and they're out of action.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Use only certain types of batteries in your Maglites - they'll replace the light for free if those brands corrode and ruin it. I can't remember what brands those are.
Girchy, duracell is one brand and that is what I put in it this time....

looking at the new bulbs

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I converted mine to LED as well, but it's an oldschool variety and nowhere near 700 lumens I don't think. But it's still pretty alright. One day I'll probably get a P7 light from DX or something.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how many lumens is the standard filament bulb?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't exactly pimp it....I avoided buying new one though

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
how many lumens is the standard filament bulb?
Hello T0G -

Dunno. The output is over driven as an example, 1331 lumes v. 780. I researched quickly to find the 4 cell at 1187 lumens, 772 torch lumens.

I use an olde mountain bike tube over my 3-cell Mag [it's seen allot of use]. It's easier to rid the blood stains [fish head bangs] ...or if it falls between seats in the auto or on board it won't rattle around. Easier to grip too on the boat wet.

The L.E.D. is over rated. Standard bulb for me. Go on the cheap.

click to enlarge

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have a spray called Corriosion X that I use all the aluminum stuff I have that is exposed to the elements. All of my fishing gear is coated with it before and after fishing trips. Take a cloth ans wipe this stuff on the inside of the barrel and I will bet no more corrosion.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still have the original bulb in it and a spare in the tail padding, so I am in no hurry. This sucker is heavy 2 pounds, 8.8 ounces!

The bike tube on it is a good idea, I'll have to find one (no mountain bike but I bet I can come up with one from a friend) NOW I have have duracell in it, it it corrodes again, it is guaranteed!

I don't use it that often, I have an LED head lamp that gives me both hands free. BUT a flashlight is one of those things, when you need it, you want it to work!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
heheheheheheeheh I got a road tube over it...LOL I NEVER would have figured out how without my wife...cut an old tube, tied a knot at both ends, pumped it up till it was as big as my arm then put it on inside out then cut it....pure genius!

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
heheheheheheeheh I got a road tube over it...LOL I NEVER would have figured out how without my wife...cut an old tube, tied a knot at both ends, pumped it up till it was as big as my arm then put it on inside out then cut it....pure genius!
NOW you've pimped your Maglite

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah it's got a mag-lite condom on

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
Ridgetop said:
700 lumens. don't have to worry about burglars. Shine that baby in their eyes in the middle of the night and they're out of action.
You'll see spots yourself if you turn that thing on inside. Anything over about 140 lumens will also ruin your own vision in tight quarters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts