Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone thru the dirt roads that goes from Flagstaff to Magnolia or vise versa? When I do super walker on my mtn bike, I always see roadies as if they rode through Lake shore road that leads to Magnolia. So the other day I went up to Magnolia and decided to go through the fire road. I got to CR68 (aka Lake Shore road) but a cyclist, on fat tires, didn't recommend skinny tires. Since I've never driven through it, I took his advice. Anyone ridden though it?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Used to do it in my Tacoma. Definitely not a good idea on road tires. There's a somewhat steep section with exposed rocks about a mile (maybe a little more) away from the Gross Reservoir turnoff. The winter is not kind and it erodes it. If you don't mind carrying on this section, you could probably get by with 32s and maybe 28s.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Whatevs. I've ridden that and worse on 23s.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have heard of several reports of mtn bikers doing it and it sounds like it generally sucks, even with a mtn bike. With so many other good rides around I would avoid it unless you are really looking for an adventure.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pablo said:
Whatevs. I've ridden that and worse on 23s.
So it's ride able? I was on a pair of 23s on Magnolia dirt road but just didn't make the turn onto Lake Shore. Is it as smooth as Magnolia's? Or do i ride slower?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.