Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for 50 miles yesterday and it was a great ride! The bike is with out a doubt the most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden! Cornering at high speeds has always given me problems, but my cornering was much tighter on Tony's custom build. With in the last mile of this ride there is a flat stretch of road with a static radar detector that tells your speed. The posted speed limit is 25mph and when ever I pass it I like to see just how fast I can get going. Until yesterday my speed record was 29mph on a nice light Team Fuji Carbon, but yesterday I blew it away and cranked out 35mph! I definitely feel like I can generate more power on this bike. I only wish I had power on my cycling computer!

This is my first custom and I cannot express how happy I am with the quality of the bike and just how great it feels! I must admit I was a little concerned about how I was going to feel on a steel ride after riding a full carbon Fuji Team for the last couple of months, but I can tell you that this bike is much much more comfortable!

I am sure you will here this again, but thanks Tony for building me such a phenominal ride! :thumbsup:

-Jimmy "The Italian"

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
for the average joe

that 90% of us are. using your $ for custom built steel that fits one like a glove
is a wise, wise investment

you can be tailor made for under 2 Grand, cheaper than many mid level CF framesets off the shelf.

wise investment, you just bought yourself some joy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
varoadie said:
Congrats, got a picture of that rocket?

more pictures can be seen in the gallery section of www.maiettacycling.com

atpjunkie said:
that 90% of us are. using your $ for custom built steel that fits one like a glove
is a wise, wise investment

you can be tailor made for under 2 Grand, cheaper than many mid level CF framesets off the shelf.

wise investment, you just bought yourself some joy
I completely agree and oh how joyous it is. From this point on it's custom for me!

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
nice

jlitalien said:

more pictures can be seen in the gallery section of www.maiettacycling.com

I completely agree and oh how joyous it is. From this point on it's custom for me!
wish more people couldfigure that out

most of us don't race (I actually do but I'll still count myself in this group)

most of us ride for fun and fitness

why not choose a bike that optimizes the fun?

one that is tailor made to your body usually does this best in what ever material

if it fits your body and riding style, you will have more fun,everyaspect of cycling becomes more joyous

as a result,and usually without trying you will become a little faster

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
tindrum said:
lovely bike... love the straight-blade fork.

and specifically, are you saying you can get a good steel custom frame for under 2 grand or a complete bike? and more specifically, where?
Curtlo, Rock Lobster, and Primus Mootry all do (fully custom) steel frames in the $1k ballpark. (I'm sure there are other inexpensive custom builders out there, but just listed the ones I know of)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
atpjunkie said:
wish more people couldfigure that out

most of us don't race (I actually do but I'll still count myself in this group)

most of us ride for fun and fitness

why not choose a bike that optimizes the fun?

one that is tailor made to your body usually does this best in what ever material

if it fits your body and riding style, you will have more fun,everyaspect of cycling becomes more joyous

as a result,and usually without trying you will become a little faster
Once again our thoughts coincide. This will be my first year racing and while I don't expect to be extreemely competative, my training has become alot more fun. I like coming home from a long ride with out a back in knots. These days all I want to do is jump on my bike and ride.

tindrum said:
lovely bike... love the straight-blade fork.

and specifically, are you saying you can get a good steel custom frame for under 2 grand or a complete bike? and more specifically, where?
Thanks!

I think that the reference to $2k was for the frameset. My bike ran less that 2K for the frame, but equiped will run you more than 2K complete (http://www.maiettacycling.com/MaiettaCycling/Pricing.html). This is the way that I looked at the price: I was looking for a new ride and easily found my entry price at $1600. I looked some more and realized that I was eventually going to spend $2-4K. I have always felt that if you have spent even $1 on something that you are not completely satisfied with then you have spent too much money. At first I thought that this bike was out of my league, but in reality if you are dedicated enough you can save up for anything that you want. You may just have to wait a little longer than you would like. So that's what I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.