Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I will be vacationing in Maine and we will be bringing our roadbikes with us. We are either looking to stay in Bar Harbor or Moody Beach. I have never been there and was wondering which place has better road riding? We are hoping for some nice views and rolling (easy) terrain.
Any recommendations would be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bar Harbor. Great town. The Nat'l Park is spectacular. There's a wonderful one-way road along the coast with no traffic this time of year. You'll feel like you have the place to yourself. Be sure to ride to the top of Cadillac. Enjoy a Geary's and local mussels on the patio at Rupununi's after a ride. Spend a few days. Cheap rooms available at this time of year. Great bike shop - Bar Harbor Bicycle.

With 10 days available - there are great rides all down the coast between BH and Moody's, with plenty of places to stay - all good.

Moody's/Ogunquit isn't that far - dunno where you're traveling from - but, nice area, riding south through Portsmouth to Rye/Hampton is beautiful, and as flat as it gets. Portsmouth is a great town, as well as Portland, on your way south from BH. A nice old comfortable hotel on the water in York - The Union Bluff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Defintely check out the 2 Cats for breakfast in BH

The Park Loop Road is great. Check out all the small harbors and summer cottages. Early morning hill repeats on Cadillac are great as is a drive up for sunset. Early Bird specials at Poor Boys. they have a nice inexpensive wine selection and great Deserts.

Have fun. Get out and Hike too. It seems no one leaves their cars here so the hiking is peaceful

J

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bring your kayak

Southern Maine sure has been getting rain! Moody's is York County.

9:30 am 5/15/06: Associated Press writers Jerry Harkavy in Kennebunk, Maine, and David Tirrell-Wysocki in Concord, N.H., contributed to this report.

"Yetta and Steven Chin and their three children awoke early Sunday when firefighters rang their doorbell in Kennebunk, Maine, with a warning. Less than an hour later, the firefighters returned, telling the family they should evacuate immediately: The water in their one-story ranch-style house was chest high by the time they got out.

"We were just an average American family thinking about maybe a summer vacation this year and now we're homeless," Yetta Chin said from the fire station where her family took refuge. "We take turns crying, and we take turns trying to bolster each other."

Maine's governor declared a state of emergency in his southern most county, York County, and the governors of Massachusetts and New Hampshire also declared states of emergency Sunday, freeing up aid and the help of the National Guard.

In York Beach, Maine, kayakers paddled down a main street where yellow police tape blocked off part of the downtown, and firefighters in a boat were going from building to building, making sure that propane tanks were shut off. By late Sunday night, more than 10 inches of rain had fallen in York."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been checking the weather since sunday and things are bad from MA to southern Maine. We might change the date to june 1 - 11 depending on the weather. I will be going tomorrow to B&N to see if they have any books.

Thank you all for some great ideas!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Head to Bar Harbor

Then head south. Please consider, York and area is gonna be weird biking - cleanup of the flood sediment along the riding shoulders will take awhile.

A great contact (I think) fior cycling info (where to ride in the Moody and south area) is Gus's Bike in N. Hampton - (603) 964-5445.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Record Rain

Record Event Report
National Weather Service Gray Me
1050 Am Edt Tue May 16 2006

...record Monthly Rainfall Set At Portsmouth New Hampshire...

Portsmouth...at The Pease International Tradeport...has Received
15.93 Inches Of Rain As Of 8 Am Today. This Is The Wettest May On
Record And The Wettest Month Ever At Portsmouth. The Previous
Wettest May Was 1984 With 9.31 Inches And The Previous Wettest
Month Was October 1996 With 15.20 Inches.

There Is Still 15 More Days To Go This Month And More Rain Is In
The Forecast For Today So The Totals For This May Will Increase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.