Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went on our annual vacation to Maine this past weekend and, just like last year, she hired a guide for me. Same one as last year too. His name is Mark Drummond and he fishes out of Kittery Point.

We did alright.

We caught 2 or 3 of these

On the ride back to the dock, we made an unexpected stop.

Can't wait until next time.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
you named the fish Mark Drummond?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nismo73 said:
Stripers! :thumbsup: I like that light rod that you're using to catch them.
I used two different fly rods - both 7wt Winston's. One with an Islander reel and an intermediate shooting head, and one with a full sink line. 20lb tippet. I don't really know how to fish very well with traditional gear and am much more effective with fly gear.

Touch0Gray said:
you named the fish Mark Drummond?
Nope, Jim. Mark was the bearded guy.

LWP said:
NTTAWWT?

Nice fishes!
Was a very welcome stop indeed!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
from the pix

I figured a fly rod, nice work.
Deceivers/Clousers or sand eel patterns?

nice, our Salt Water season has sucked this year

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atpjunkie said:
I figured a fly rod, nice work.
Deceivers/Clousers or sand eel patterns?

nice, our Salt Water season has sucked this year
They looked like sand eel patterns to me. The big one definitely came to a sand eel pattern (silver/white, slender, epoxy head, but stripped fast). The smaller fish came to a guitar minnow on full sink. Thats what we had the most consistent luck with.

Mark said that there have been fewer fish but for the most part they've been bigger. Stopped in at the fly shop and they all said that the other guides that were out didn't see any fish at all. There were no fish inside but once we got outside of the river mouth and fished the shoreline they were hot. The ticket was very, very fast fly movement.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Fly is definitely the way to go for stripers- my absolute favorite way to catch them. Figure out some way to find 8-10 lb. bluefish next time- unforgettable on the fly (bring wire tippets!!)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We saw some juvenile blues running bait up onto shore but nothing more than 10" long. I wanted blues last year and this year but the reports were that they were either way out or headed south already.

I've seen some bluefish videos that make me want nothing more than to hook into one and keep my fingers out of the way. He always carries one rod loaded with wire leaders... just in case.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used to go to Lake Meddie Bemps(sp) in Maine. we would catch about 100 small mouth bass a day each person. Best fly fishing I have ever done before or since. I love that state it is beautiful up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts