Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52069

Hey all,

I'm planning a tour for coastal Maine this summer, and I am seeking advice from anyone who's cycled along the southern coast between Portland and Acadia National Park. Above is my original post from the Commuting and Touring section. I'd appreciate anyone with input or experience touring the coast to chime in and let me know what you thought, or if there are any specific points of interest you'd recommend (or avoid). (Please check my original post above, as it has greater detail about my potental trip).

Thanks,

Mr. P.

·
There can be only one
64 Posts
I haven't toured the area, but I lived around there for a long time, so FWIW...

It's not mountainous, but expect lots of rollers when you're off Route 1.

If you're there in summer, expect traffic, even on the narrow back roads. It'll generally be low-speed, mostly courteous traffic, but it'll be there nonetheless.

Camden's always worth a stop, and I'd recommend Mt. Battie as a good climb with a great hilltop view.

I would recommend Pemaquid Light if you like lighthouses and rocky headlands, but it's a very long side trip. Basically, Route 1 skirts the tops of all the peninsulae, and most of the points of interest are at the bottoms, so most sightseeing would involve very lengthy trips out of your way. Route 1 is hell, by the way.

Once you're past Camden things mellow out a lot, because there's not as much tourist trade between Belfast and Bar Harbor.

Hope that's useful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have not rode bike along route 1 but spend many summers vacationing along your route. Coastal Route 1 from late June to Fall can (most likely will) be bumper to bumper taffic with many tourists, motorhomes, motor cycle groups and little or no shoulder. Summer traffic along rte.1 will be especially high between Portland and Bar Harbour - if you are not new to Bike touring then little shoulder and busy roads should not scare you but if you are expecting quiet coastal roads w/little traffic then it will take some getting used to and you will need to be vigilant saving the scenic outlooks and surveying the scenery for when you stop riding. Beautiful coast line with great towns, reastaurants, camping etc.but this is a very heavily travelled route in summer. A quieter route and much less travelled is rte1 north of Bar Harbour/Ellsworth - not as commercial but shares the same coast and lot less travelled by tourists.. Bar Harbour Mt Desert Island/ Acadia Nat Park is beautiful but again heavy traffic - Acadia Nat Park has wonderful maintained bike trails (formerly carriage trails- see their Nat Park website) that cover the entire isalnd/park linking many small towns(lots of bike rentals for fat tire fun) - mostly tailings and perhaps not ideal for road bike but well worth investigating one day. Cadillac Mountain is a nasty hill climb in Acadia Park with breathtaking view of the entire coast and islands and should be done early in the AM to avoid bus and tourist traffic. Hope that helps....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJF and Ornoth,

Thanks for the local information. Hopefully I won't hit too much tourist traffic during the time I'm considering. I was in Acadia Nat'l Park a few years ago at the beginning of June, and it was empty. Bar Harbor was very quiet, and the roads were free and open, with no traffic that I can remember. I think everyone I've consulted says that travelling there after the last week in June is just crazy, bike or no bike.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey Mr P:

One thing you might want to do is check out the Bicycle Coalition of Maine website <www.bikemaine.org> - they can probably help you out with local knowledge as much as anyone.

Cheers,
Matt

Mr. Peabody said:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52069

Hey all,

I'm planning a tour for coastal Maine this summer, and I am seeking advice from anyone who's cycled along the southern coast between Portland and Acadia National Park. Above is my original post from the Commuting and Touring section. I'd appreciate anyone with input or experience touring the coast to chime in and let me know what you thought, or if there are any specific points of interest you'd recommend (or avoid). (Please check my original post above, as it has greater detail about my potental trip).

Thanks,

Mr. P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts