Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
72 Posts
I rest my bike upside down (on the seat and bars) to let the water drain out the seattube rather than sitting in the bottom bracket shell. I use compressed air to blow out the water from everything but bearings. Lube...shine...ride.

· Registered
642 Posts
Ironically, my bike seem to get much dirtier riding on wet roads rather than in the rain.

If I get caught in the rain. I'll spray my bike off with the hose and wipe it dry.
I'll lube the brakes, detailers and chain.

If I ride on wet roads, I'll take off the chain and put it in solvent. I wash the bike with soap and water, and dry it. I'll take a tooth brush to the cassette, put the chain back on and lube the brakes, detailers and chain.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
At the minimum: Seatpost out, and let dry for a day or so.

Usually I try to wipe down everything and rewax the same night.

I don't touch my chain, there should be enough stuff on it for it not to rust. Unless, you don't lube your chain, then that's your fault.

· Registered
642 Posts
I hope so

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I put a drop of my preferred lubricant on the pivots.
I read somewhere that you should do it and ask the mechanic at my LBS. He said you bet. So I do it.

gibson00 said:
How do you lube brakes? Will lube actually get into the pivots?

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I've gotten lucky in the times I've gotten caught out in the rain this year in that the rain has ended before getting home. This way the bike has gotten a chance to air dry before I bring it inside.

If the bike was still wet I dry it off as best I can with a towel and wipe off the chain and re-lube. I add a few drops of lube to the derailleur and brake pivots. If the bike is dry then I just pull out my swiffer duster and some pledge. I wipe the bike down and then do the chain and pivots like above.

Actually we've been caught in the rain so many time this year that my wife's shifter cables required changing. Well her rear one primarily. It was making a god awful sound whenever she upshifted. I remembered that sound from the MTB'n days and I knew there was no use in fighting it. I lube the cables and housing a couple times, but it just kept coming back so I knew it was time.

I'm thinking this winter there will be a major tear down of both bikes since the weather has been so hit and miss here in Southern Ontario...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.