Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

i'm new to riding and would like to learn more about basic maintenance and repair. can you guys recommend any books or other resources. this forum seems great for specific questions, but i'd like to have something on hand as a reference guide.

fyi, this would be for a road/hybrid (specialized sirrus), not mtb's.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
dem219 said:
hey,

i'm new to riding and would like to learn more about basic maintenance and repair. can you guys recommend any books or other resources. this forum seems great for specific questions, but i'd like to have something on hand as a reference guide.

fyi, this would be for a road/hybrid (specialized sirrus), not mtb's.
The Zinn books are good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884737706/103-0883159-5411811?v=glance&n=283155

On-line, the Park Tool site is good.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/

HTH
Scot

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Listen to Lennard.

I'll second the Zinn recommendation (not that the others aren't good, too). He breaks the skill and tool requirements down into levels (easy, moderate, advanced) so you can start with a minimal investment in tools and time and take your wrenching as far as you want to go.

Be aware that you will need to buy at least a few bike-specific tools. Ordinary mechanics' tools will work for many things but there are some jobs that are a cast-iron b*tch unless you have exactly the right job- and component-brand-specific tool. With a few exceptions, most of these are not terribly expensive, but as I continue to build my own tool collection, I sometimes feel like I'm being eleven-ninety-fived to death ...

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
I'm also a fan of sheldonbrown.com. Regardless of what maintenance book or website you choose, make sure you keep a nice supply of rags & shop towels. Every little maintenance task will leave you with dirty hands. Also, as another poster touched on, there is no substitute for the right tool as it will save you both tons of time and major headaches. Stay away from tools that are made of inferior materials such as pot metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts