Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
very,very easy to do. I recently did my shamal's. Cleaned and used phil wood's bearing grease, then used 90wt. gear oil on the free hub. Runs real quiet now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your input. Now I'm debating going with the Campy Neutron wheelset as they have a great price on PBK. Any thoughts on that vs.a Record hub, dt spokes, dt 1.1 rim with tied and soldered spokes from Competitive Cyclist (which is also over $200.00 more)? The Neutron is almost 200 grams lighter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ejr13 said:
Thanks for all your input. Now I'm debating going with the Campy Neutron wheelset as they have a great price on PBK. Any thoughts on that vs.a Record hub, dt spokes, dt 1.1 rim with tied and soldered spokes from Competitive Cyclist (which is also over $200.00 more)? The Neutron is almost 200 grams lighter.
Most will recommend the non-factory build for repairability reasons. Campy wheels are very good quality...though use proprietary parts which can be expensive "if" needed.

I have a set of late 1990's Vento's that have needed nothing and are a beautifully built set of wheels. I would have trouble getting replacement spokes today...but I have complete confidence in them.

I build my own wheels and stick with the conservative side of things...but Campy factory wheels are not fads or gimmicks and you can't go wrong with them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
All the ridden-hard Neutron's that I've seen and worked on have cracked at the eyelets on the DS rear wheel. I'd rather get the CC wheels.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
-dustin said:
All the ridden-hard Neutron's that I've seen and worked on have cracked at the eyelets on the DS rear wheel. I'd rather get the CC wheels.
Neutrons do not have "eyelets" as per se. The spokes enter the rim through a conventional hole and the nipple interface uses special washers to optimize the spoke angle. I had a pair of Neutrons that I raced on for 2 years and then regretfully sold and I never had a problem with cracking.

The DT RR1.1 rims have a history of cracking. The original release had single eyelets and they were prone to cracking the rear drive side. DT released a double eyelet version, more durable but also adds about 25-30 grams of weight.

To the OP, regarding Record hub maintenance - it is super easy to take apart the Campy hubs to clean and regrease. Having said that, I have a Chorus 10v hub from 2004 that must have 20K km on it. It has never been cracked open and I have ridden it in horrendously wet winter weather the past couple of years as my "winter training wheel" (hence the lack of maintenance) and it still turns nice and smooth. Not that I advocate such maintenance, just giving an example.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for keeping the post alive. I appreciate all the comments. Since I don't race and I am more into cruising and staying in shape (as much as I hate to admit it) I feel I won't have to worry about breaking the wheels. It has just been decades since I had wheels I needed to grease or lube so I wanted to know what people's experiences were. My new frame/fork won't be ready for another couple of weeks so I can let this decision keep me awake a little longer:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.