Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so ashamed.

I get to the ride tonight, and what do I find.............No proper eye-wear..........

I left my Oakley's at home.........I even left my Serfas eye-wear at home.

What do I do....What do I do..?

I could slink home, after telling people that I have to change my Depends............
I could HTFU and go bare eyes, but it was sunny, and I worry about bugs in the eyeball.
I finally decided to wear my regular sunglasses, which my youngest kid jokingly calls my "Matrix" sunglasses.
Well, it worked. Nobody pointed at me and laughed. Either people thought that they were some new sort of "hip" eye-wear, or that they were just afraid to laugh at me.

Sunglasses suck as eye-wear.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
ok but were your socks the correct height?

If that ever happens, I'll be ready for the "old folks home".

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I'm so ashamed.

I get to the ride tonight, and what do I find.............No proper eye-wear..........

I left my Oakley's at home.........I even left my Serfas eye-wear at home.

What do I do....What do I do..?

I could slink home, after telling people that I have to change my Depends............
I could HTFU and go bare eyes, but it was sunny, and I worry about bugs in the eyeball.
I finally decided to wear my regular sunglasses, which my youngest kid jokingly calls my "Matrix" sunglasses.
Well, it worked. Nobody pointed at me and laughed. Either people thought that they were some new sort of "hip" eye-wear, or that they were just afraid to laugh at me.

Sunglasses suck as eye-wear.
Not sure I follow this statement.:confused: Do you mean regular sunglasses suck for cycling? That I'd agree with.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BuckeyeBiker said:
Not sure I follow this statement.:confused: Do you mean regular sunglasses suck for cycling? That I'd agree with.

Yeah, street glasses work like crap. Every few miles I had to push 'em back up.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pretender said:
Oakleys are fugly. And overpriced.

Aviators work great on a bike, and look 100% better.

Rule 36:

Eyewear shall be cycling specific, i.e no Aviator shades or clip-on covers for reading glasses.

PS Aviator shades are alright as long as you plan to take your cycling vacation by use of a time machine.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kerry Irons said:
"Avi, pull your socks up!"

Rule 27:

Sock and short length should be like Golidlocks, not too long and not too short. (Disclaimer: despite Sean Yates’ horrible choice in shorts length, he is a quintessential hard man of cycling and is deeply admired by the Velominati. Whereas Armstrong’s short and sock lengths are just plain wrong.) No socks is a no-no, as are those ankle-length ones that should only be worn by female tennis players.

Rule 28:

Socks can be any damn colour you like. White is old school cool. Black is good, but once again were given a bad image by a Texan whose were too long. DeFeet Wool-E-Ators rule.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spade2you said:
I know people like to bag on Oakley, but the work well on the bike. I've had some M-Frames for a mighty long time. I'll be upgrading to Jawbones, mostly because I want to change the lenses quicker.

My M-Frames are so old, instead of of thr big O on the temple, they have an "Oakley"
They are close to 20 years old. What really burns me is that way back then, with a grey lens, they cost $115......You can but the same M's now for $120.......WTF..............Somebody's screwin' somebody.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Sez you! For me, socks and gloves are for cold weather. It's au naturale when the temps go above 60 F/15 C.

I don't make the rules, I just report 'em.

Did these guys go sock-less????????

· botanical guru
213 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Rule 27:

No socks is a no-no, as are those ankle-length ones that should only be worn by female tennis players.

I like the ankle length socks. The regular length ones I find annoying perhaps because I'm used to wearing no show socks all day:confused: Maybe it's a girly thing????

I would have been :mad: if I realized I forgot my eyewear. Maybe everyone did think you were sporting some new, high end cycling shades. I hear you on the Oakleys- I used to work retail that dealt with them. Someone's DEFIANTELY screwin' someone over there. They do make nice eyewear however. Even with that said I'm happy to report I like my Rudy Projects:D

I know you said you're not making up the rules, just reporting them.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Ugh, I forgot cycling socks recently and decided to go sockless, rather than wear mid-calf dress socks. I felt naked. Ditto for the time I forgot contacts, and had to wear my regular eyeglasses. Laurent Fignon, I'm not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.