Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....
I have a Raleigh Super Course which I have put 500 miles on in the last 2 months or so. This is my first road bike and as far as I am concerned this is exactly what the wheel was invented for. I have done a couple of cat 5 crits and had a blast. I have had no problems with the bike until tonight. On my last ride I did 27 miles without difficulty- hills, flats, everything. Tonight, I'm about 15 minutes into my ride and getting to the top of a pretty big hill- I had noticed that the drivetrain was a little noisier in the back than normal, but everything was shifting okay. All of a sudden I hear a clunking, a sickening crunch, and my legs are spinning free. I look back and the chain is hanging over the top of the front der and the rear der- no biggie, figured that the chain had just broken- Then I notice that the cage with the rear der pullies is pointing ninety degrees from the wheel- Ouch. Then of course to rub salt in the wound, I had to walk home; at least it was downhill.
:mad:
The bike shop is closed now and I'm not going to be able to make it there for a couple of days because of work.

What would generally cause something like this? Did the der fail or the chain fail?

The Raleigh warranty section states that any branded components eg the Ultegra rear der and ? the chain (i'll have to check) are covered under the component manufacturer's warranty. I actually purchased the bike in november, so it has been under a year. Does anybody know what shimano's original warranty period is? Are they pretty good at replacing things? Also, is the 10 speed Ultegra triple rear der on sale at performance compatible with my 9 speed mostly 105 setup?

If I have to buy a new chain, what is the best way to get an easily removable chain for cleaning purposes?

Damned expensive bike ride- and I was planning to get a good ride in this week.

Thanks everybody for any help that you can provide.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but I doubt this falls under the warranty. Sounds like 'user error' from here. BTDT! and had to pay to get some dropouts brazed into my Concorde too.

It MAY fall under your shop's 'goodwill policy' if they and only they are the ones that've worked on your bike.

Be nice to em and see what happens...

I WOULD NOT go in with an attitude! Easiest way I know of to end up biting the bullet your own self.

M

· Registered
491 Posts
Your bike shop should take care of you

If the bike is that new your shop should take care of everything. I work for a shop and if something like that happened to a customer with a brand new bike we would definitly make sure things were taken care of. It sounds like the chain broke got caught up in the rear der and then threw the derailuer into the wheel. Kind of a freak accident, but like I said the shop should take care of you. Even if raleigh does not warranty the parts The shop can warranty shimano parts through Quality Bicycle Products. Hope everything works out for you.

· Registered
611 Posts
Wow. I've never seen a failure like that. I would think the derrailueur would be a warranty item, if nothing else broke. Second the suggestion to take it to your friendly LBS and see what they can do for you.

Jim

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Don't mean to make light of your mishap, but all I can see in the pictures is a trashed derailleur. You lead a charmed life - if that would have happened to me, my derailleur would have gone into the bike, bent the dropout, then slammed into the spokes and broken two or three of them.

The 10-speed Ultegra triple will work fine. Have someone check the replaceable dropout for proper alignment. Here's my guess as to the wha' happened: reading between the lines, I guess you like to take your chain off to clean it. Last time, you didn't get it back together right. One of the chain sideplates moved off its pin during your ride. First the plate made slight contact with the derailleur and produced the noise. Then it came off the pin completely and immediately caught hard on the derailleur. All speculation on my part, but if this turns out to be what happened, consider the chain cleaning procedure pointed out in the thread below. IMHO, there really is no good reason to take a chain off the bike for "cleaning." Others may disagree.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62625

· Registered
6,422 Posts
Looks like...

Seamus said:
Wow. I've never seen a failure like that. I would think the derrailueur would be a warranty item, if nothing else broke. Second the suggestion to take it to your friendly LBS and see what they can do for you.

Jim
Looks like there is a bunch of scratches on the outside of the derailler. I wonder if the bike was dropped, or fell over on the "money" side of the bike, or crashed. If so, you're out of luck really. Something like this doesn't happen to deraillers without some sort of impact force helping it along. I highly doubt that this was a "just riding along" incident, something else happened to the rear derailler to get it started I'm betting.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
yeah, this happened to a friend of mine, too, only it took out both derailleurs and a couple of spokes.

In this case, it was "no, you SHOULDN'T reconnect a 10-speed chain."

Doubt that's what happened to you, but...

· Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
It could have been worse. A similar failure happened to my Dad's Gitane in ~1973, with my riding on the back in a child seat. Except in his case the derailleur folded into the wheel, instantly locking it at 20mph. Amazingly he managed to bring us to a safe stop. Believe it or not I remember the event fairly vividly; there was a bang and then tink-tink as I watched parts of the bike bouncing into the road :blush2:

· Registered
609 Posts
jmchase76 said:
So....
I have a Raleigh Super Course which I have put 500 miles on in the last 2 months or so. This is my first road bike and as far as I am concerned this is exactly what the wheel was invented for. I have done a couple of cat 5 crits and had a blast. I have had no problems with the bike until tonight. On my last ride I did 27 miles without difficulty- hills, flats, everything. Tonight, I'm about 15 minutes into my ride and getting to the top of a pretty big hill- I had noticed that the drivetrain was a little noisier in the back than normal, but everything was shifting okay. All of a sudden I hear a clunking, a sickening crunch, and my legs are spinning free. I look back and the chain is hanging over the top of the front der and the rear der- no biggie, figured that the chain had just broken- Then I notice that the cage with the rear der pullies is pointing ninety degrees from the wheel- Ouch. Then of course to rub salt in the wound, I had to walk home; at least it was downhill.
:mad:
The bike shop is closed now and I'm not going to be able to make it there for a couple of days because of work.

What would generally cause something like this? Did the der fail or the chain fail?

The Raleigh warranty section states that any branded components eg the Ultegra rear der and ? the chain (i'll have to check) are covered under the component manufacturer's warranty. I actually purchased the bike in november, so it has been under a year. Does anybody know what shimano's original warranty period is? Are they pretty good at replacing things? Also, is the 10 speed Ultegra triple rear der on sale at performance compatible with my 9 speed mostly 105 setup?

If I have to buy a new chain, what is the best way to get an easily removable chain for cleaning purposes?

Damned expensive bike ride- and I was planning to get a good ride in this week.

Thanks everybody for any help that you can provide.

I suspect that the leading end of a chain link opened up and "ate" your rear mech. It this was the case (easily confirmed if the failed link was adjacent to the "master link"), then whoever sized your chain did a lousy job of closing the end link on the chain.

Des

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
magnolialover said:
Looks like there is a bunch of scratches on the outside of the derailler. I wonder if the bike was dropped, or fell over on the "money" side of the bike, or crashed. If so, you're out of luck really. Something like this doesn't happen to deraillers without some sort of impact force helping it along. I highly doubt that this was a "just riding along" incident, something else happened to the rear derailler to get it started I'm betting.
Actually, the bike had never been dropped on that side (remember, first road bike, only five hundred miles- It was still my baby)... And, get this- I wasn't even in the 25 cog when it blew up.

Took it to the my LBS today- with the der in 2 pieces he said I could try to check with the shop that sold it to me and see if they could do anything with the warranty. He thought that something likely happened to the chain and it cought on the der and ripped it off basically- He then said that with 500 miles of hard use they would not likely cover it.

But hey they are good guys there and are fixing everything (incl truing the rear wheel) for ~100$... Could be worse.....

NEXT question- See the scuff on the seatstay".... that scuff goes through the paint but didn't seem to do anything to the carbon underneath- do I need to worry or do anything about that?

-Thanx everybody

· Registered
592 Posts
FYI, I'd recommend removing the plastic thingy between your cassette & spokes if you don't want to look like a gaper at your next race. If your derailluer is properly adjusted & maintained then you'll never need it

· Registered
200 Posts
let LBS worry about which warranty

Did you buy the bike new from a shop? If so, let them worry about which company pays the warranty repair costs. The shop should fix it and then they collect from Shimano or Raleigh or whoever.

I had a failure like this about 15 years ago. I had just bought a new Cannondale with Shimano Ultegra (3.0 with 600......memories). Anyway, two chain plates separated, wouldn't fit through the rear mech and POP, broke the rear mech right off. I took it back to the shop where I bought it and they fixed it up without any fuss or charge to me.

If you didn't buy the bike from a shop, then you have to deal with warranty issues directly with the component manufacturer (good luck with getting them to cover other costs due to the failure of their part). But if you bought from a shop.....let them worry about whose warranty covers. They should fix it for you without any fuss.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Did you buy the bike new from a shop?
OP bought bike "new in box," but on ebay, see post #5.

I still think that a chainplate separated, just as you experienced. In almost all cases, that happens because someone didn't reconnect the chain properly after breaking it for "cleaning" or length adjustment. It's going to be tough to extract warranty benefits from anyone. But it looks like a new derailleur will have the OP back on the road, so I see this a bit like a tempest in a teapot with some valuable lessons learned perhaps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.