Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ermmm......halp?
So I wanna make a jewelry box. Not too fancy, one drawar in the middle and the normal door thing on the top. Maybe 1'x8''x8'' or so. I've heard (from my dad trying to warn me against it) that drawars are super hard to get right. Is there any simple way to make one that won't stick??

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creakyknees said:
Don't know. But it's a bit easier to make a drawer.

http://tinyurl.com/32u67y5
I've already typed that into google (except I guess I spelled it right). I didn't see anything about it being impossible to get it to work right though.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
Make sure your wood is dry. Don't use junk wood from one of those big abominations that pass for hardware/lumber stores.

For a first drawer like this, I'd say avoid any sort of shape other than square or rectangle.

Make the cabinet, then make the drawer to fit it.

Pay attention to square. work carefully. dry fit things before you glue them. work carefully.

Look at old cabinets to learn how. New stuff is mostly ****.

Build your drawer box and apply the face later. Will you drawer face be flush or overlaid? Flush will look cleaner, overlaid will hide some sins.

Drawers are no harder than building cabinets or any other box.

Just don't try to do it all the day before the gift is due.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
To have much interior volume, you will want to use lumber that isn't standard thickness so either look for specialty hardwoods maybe 1/4 to 3/8 for the sides, a little thicker for the drawer front, or have access to a planer to create your own boards. Using thin stock, you won't have much tolerance for error in cutting the dados, etc. for the finished joints. Have pleny of scrap lumber to test fit the cuts before you do them on your finished lumber.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Save the beer to celebrate a job well done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts