Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the very near future I'm moving into a new research centre (London, UK) which has some provisions for employee cycle parking. However, the current setup is inefficient and worse, insecure. I'm looking for advice on improving the situation (some funds are available if I act quickly).

The building (a converted Georgian house) has two "wine cellars", each 2m wide and 3.5m deep. These spaces are under the pavement (US="sidewalk") and accessible by stairs through an unlocked gate at street level. Both of them are entirely empty, and secured only by light gates with combination locks. This means that any cycle parked inside could be carried off by any person who gets through the combination lock (either someone from within the centre who knows the combination and wants a bike upgrade, or anyone who can break the lock). And this is a very popular area for cycle theft.

Obviously it's most important to have some sort of rack, anything to lock the bikes to. But what? The size and shape of the spaces is very limiting, and it's not possible to make any changes to the space (or to affix anything to the walls) as the building is listed.

Any suggestions for practical solutions to this problem would be very much appreciated. Especially specific products available in the UK -- I just don't know what's out there or where to look.

Otherwise I'll be lugging my filthy commuter up three floors of brand new carpet, brand new paint etc. on a daily basis.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
How about creating some anchors. Make some boxes out of plywood and 2x4's and fill them with concrete. A good big eye bolt with a nut or two on the bottom should help from having it pulled out. A good bag or two of concrete and it will be too heavy to drag out of the room, but it also won't be permanetly attached to anything in the room. I guess you could also take a rack and set it in concrete boxes. Make it heavy enough and nobody's going to mess with it. If it ever has to be removed, get out the sledge hammer and break a sweat.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
KJohnson said:
How about creating some anchors. Make some boxes out of plywood and 2x4's and fill them with concrete. A good big eye bolt with a nut or two on the bottom should help from having it pulled out. A good bag or two of concrete and it will be too heavy to drag out of the room, but it also won't be permanetly attached to anything in the room. I guess you could also take a rack and set it in concrete boxes. Make it heavy enough and nobody's going to mess with it. If it ever has to be removed, get out the sledge hammer and break a sweat.
I like this idea - here are some refinements:

get a freestanding rack in to the room - rather than cement - lock some weights and/or old beater equipment/bikes at either end - if the self-standing rack can't be dragged out of the room without a blowtorch things are alot safer - plus a rack in the room will pass the sniff test for relative ease of theft

you could always get bike boxes like they have at mainline stations to keep in the room?

a CCTV sign on the door will work wonders

of course CCTV itself is a deterrent but may be too expensive

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
DPV said:
In the very near future I'm moving into a new research centre (London, UK) which has some provisions for employee cycle parking. However, the current setup is inefficient and worse, insecure. I'm looking for advice on improving the situation (some funds are available if I act quickly).

The building (a converted Georgian house) has two "wine cellars", each 2m wide and 3.5m deep. These spaces are under the pavement (US="sidewalk") and accessible by stairs through an unlocked gate at street level. Both of them are entirely empty, and secured only by light gates with combination locks. This means that any cycle parked inside could be carried off by any person who gets through the combination lock (either someone from within the centre who knows the combination and wants a bike upgrade, or anyone who can break the lock). And this is a very popular area for cycle theft.

Obviously it's most important to have some sort of rack, anything to lock the bikes to. But what? The size and shape of the spaces is very limiting, and it's not possible to make any changes to the space (or to affix anything to the walls) as the building is listed.

Any suggestions for practical solutions to this problem would be very much appreciated. Especially specific products available in the UK -- I just don't know what's out there or where to look.

Otherwise I'll be lugging my filthy commuter up three floors of brand new carpet, brand new paint etc. on a daily basis.
These are the lockers in use in my area by the transit authority. I think one of the two bike units will fit in your space.
http://www.cycle-safe.com/UserFiles/File/PDF/CSBrochure.pdf
These might not be the best solution for you. These units work by putting one bike in each end. Based on your space limits I don't think you would be able to use the far locker. It would be too close to the wall I think. Their specs recommend having 3.8 meters of space, but half of that is bike extraction space that you could likely use the access space for.

These units are sold out of Michigan in the USA. They don't say anything one way or the other about shipping overseas.
Scot

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
M.J. said:
I like this idea - here are some refinements:
a CCTV sign on the door will work wonders
of course CCTV itself is a deterrent but may be too expensive
You could always go for a fake camera : http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=fake security camera&sa=N&tab=wf or http://www.security2020.com/security2020-dummy-cameras.htm

If it was installed in back of the room and above the bikes, nobody could get close enough to know it's a fake. Might be enough to scare off a crook or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.
Real CCTV isn't an option but fake CCTV sounds like a useful, inexpensive addition.

Bike boxes sound like the best thing security-wise but I fear there will be too many bikes trying to crowd into such a limited, awkward space. 2m wide makes quite a challenge -- I guess my ride would be fantastically secure if I parked it in the back.

LCC, CTC, Sustrans: good suggestions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts