Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my '04 zuirch with a new cannondale Six13. I'm torn of what to do with the Zurich, as I really don't need more than one road bike. My team is really big into cyclocross, and I don't have a cyclocross bike. Is it possible to turn the Lemond into a cyclocross bike? I want to run canteliver brakes so I can use bigger tires, but I think I'm lacking a lot of the necessary hardware for that. What about putting on disk brakes so I can run fatter tires? What would all of that take in parts and cost?

·
Registered
49 Posts
well...

you may find it's more difficult than you think. The bb on a cx bike is typically higher, the stays are opened more for larger tires, and obviously canti posts are welded on. Discs to my knowledge are still not allowed in UCI CX races. Your best bet is selling off (EBAY) the older bike and getting an entry lever or used CX bike. Just my opinion.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Maybe better feedback in the cross forum...

but also remember...
In the beginning, folks used their road bikes as cross bikes. There wasn't such thing as a cross bike.

I just helped my friend convert his Litespeed Classic into a crosser. All we did was spring for some 700X28 semi knobbies (nashbar.com) for around $30.00 each. Depending on the course, you may be able to get by with 700X28 or 32 slicks.

You may want to look into 48 or 50 by 39 chainrings. Other than that, you are ready to go.

I do quite a lot of cross races and see plenty of road bikes.

I also recommend getting a wider handlebar or a cross specific bar such as the Salsa Bell Lap.

Go for it!

G

·
Second Rx,

New handlebars and chain rings (possibly the crankset).

Some cantilever brake bosses and you're good to go.

This is the way CX bikes were traditionally made.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Whoa Nellie!

toomanybikes said:
Some cantilever brake bosses and you're good to go. This is the way CX bikes were traditionally made.
Yeah, back in the day when all frames were steel and there were a lot more people around who could braze on those brake bosses. Today with CF forks and non-steel frames, doing this is not really practical. Also, you'd have to paint the frame or have it looking like a backyard kludge. For muddy courses, the bike would be challenged by not having enough frame/tire clearance. Otherwise, it would work OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts