Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Miyata 6500 I'd like to update with 10 speed Ultegra parts. Most likely a new group (possibly minus crank). Would you guys see any possible complications with this? I have a set of wheels I can toss on it too.

I believe the bottom bracket is the same style also....

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Interesting bike there. I have a Raleigh that has a combination of aluminum and steel tubing too. It's very heavy compared to my BMC, but it's a nice looking bike. I just need to run the cabling and put new tires on it and it'll be ready to ride.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Good investment?

trunkz22 said:
I have a Miyata 6500 I'd like to update with 10 speed Ultegra parts. Most likely a new group (possibly minus crank). Would you guys see any possible complications with this? I have a set of wheels I can toss on it too.

I believe the bottom bracket is the same style also....
When approaching a project like this, you should ALWAYS ask the question: What could I get if I took the same amount of money and bought a 3-5 year old used (but modern) bike. The answer is usually that you're better off by selling the old bike and getting the (new) used bike. And when you consider the cost of upgrading the old bike, don't forget to at 20% or so to the cost estimate to cover all of the surprises that inevitably come up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This I know about. But I also know that of all my bikes, somehow the fit of this bike is the best and I just can't emulate it on the other bikes. It is also my first bike, so I'd be willing to give it more 'stupid' love than others bikes. I do agree with you though. I could probably find a good bike with 105/Ultegra equipped for 500-600 bucks, but I don't want to gamble on fit too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I updated a late-80's Schwinn Traveler that was my first "good" bike with parts taken off my other bikes as I moved them to 10 speed. I don't regret putting on the STI shifters and putting some money in it as it is just plain fun to ride the bike that got me into cycling. I don't know that I'd go with new parts, but looking around for some used 8 or 9 speed bits might make a fun project.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Unless you really love it it will be a money pit costing nearly as much as a new boxed bike. I bought a CF bike but in the end, I still put mods onto the old bikes. I do really like them but this was far from a cost efficient exercise.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Matching fit

trunkz22 said:
This I know about. But I also know that of all my bikes, somehow the fit of this bike is the best and I just can't emulate it on the other bikes. It is also my first bike, so I'd be willing to give it more 'stupid' love than others bikes. I do agree with you though. I could probably find a good bike with 105/Ultegra equipped for 500-600 bucks, but I don't want to gamble on fit too much.
I annot comprehend how you couldn't get the fit to match. If all of the measurements agree, then the fit matches. Now the different bikes might not handle the same due to geometry differences, so unless you're at the limit of something (like saddle slid all the way back, stem all the way down, etc.) you should be able to get the fit spot on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts