Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like that there are a couple of active threads about making stuff.

Since we moved, and I have some time again, I have been putting my shop together at the new place. In that process, I decided it was time to get my grandfather's tool chest cleaned up. It's an old wood chest with a hinged lid and three drawers. I have no before picture, because it was shamefully filthy.

I dumped out each drawer, cleaned up the outside of the cabinet, and gave it a coat of wiping oil.

I won't clean up the paint drips, because they are a part of the story. I didn't make them, so they are not something to clean up.

What I will do, though, is find some drawer pulls. There are a few of the originals, and a few flat head screws where the pulls are gone. I think I will also make a new front panel for it.

When things get crazy and out of control, it is good to be able to have a little piece of the world that we can make just-so.

I see now that I have no photo of the chest at all on my phone. I will have to take a picture later.

What else are you all making? I also want to make some wine. And maybe that dutch oven bread.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I worked in a Special Needs School where we had the freedom to try all sorts of projects.We had all sorts of donations, including cigar boxes. The subject matter (tobacco ) was enough to keep it away from students but the donor thought we might paint them to disguise them. I elected to try my hand at CBG's.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I made a little copper bowl for my husband for our copper anniversary (7 years.) We inherited some metal stamps that's missing some letters, but has all the numbers, so I stamped the date of our 7th anniversary into the bottom.

I'm also learning how to patina copper for abstract art, which involves some chemicals, flux and blowtorching. So far I just have small samples that are finished, but am still working on larger pieces- takes a lot of trial/error and time to get patina to form.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I was about to use a giant pile of willow branches to make a "wattle fence" to screen the view of my new hot tub. But then the temperatures went subzero and I don't want to do yard work in that kind of whether - and the branches probably aren't flexible enough until it warms up.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made a little copper bowl for my husband for our copper anniversary (7 years.) We inherited some metal stamps that's missing some letters, but has all the numbers, so I stamped the date of our 7th anniversary into the bottom.

I'm also learning how to patina copper for abstract art, which involves some chemicals, flux and blowtorching. So far I just have small samples that are finished, but am still working on larger pieces- takes a lot of trial/error and time to get patina to form.
This is cool.

I made some copper stuff a few years ago.

Cleaning the copper with lemon and salt first helped tremendously when coloring it.

Any pictures?

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked in a Special Needs School where we had the freedom to try all sorts of projects.We had all sorts of donations, including cigar boxes. The subject matter (tobacco ) was enough to keep it away from students but the donor thought we might paint them to disguise them. I elected to try my hand at CBG's.
Nice.

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was about to use a giant pile of willow branches to make a "wattle fence" to screen the view of my new hot tub. But then the temperatures went subzero and I don't want to do yard work in that kind of whether - and the branches probably aren't flexible enough until it warms up.
Soak them in the hot tub?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Soak them in the hot tub?
Hmm, in theory that's a good plan. We're bound to get a warm snap here sooner or later. I just hope I can get them moved to somewhere that the snow plow won't cover them up during the approaching snow storm - but I'm leaving on a ski trip tomorrow. Priorities.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,423 Posts
Are you planning on dressing it up with some daub?????

·
hello
3,394 Posts
My last DIY project were a set of top and under down-filled quilts for my hammock

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
been working on restoration of my daughter's staircase. It would have been easier to build a new one!

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
My last real DIY project was this past summer. I repurposed some lumber that had been a bed frame I made into a platform for rollers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
opus, you mount and dismount from the left side of the bike? Seems like it would be easier if the whole setup was flipped around. I would have trouble swinging my leg over that close to the wall.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
opus, you mount and dismount from the left side of the bike? Seems like it would be easier if the whole setup was flipped around. I would have trouble swinging my leg over that close to the wall.
Yeah. I stand on the left/non-drive side and swing my leg over, so I made the platform a little wider on that side. I would slide it away from the wall a bit more, but what you don't see in the pic is the ginormous elliptical machine sitting next to it. The center is open, though, so I can pull the rollers and put them in the other way if I decide to rearrange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
then he would be staring at a wall 1' away, just say'in!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts