Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had ongoing issues with Mr. Happy going numb. I've tried various positioning/gear solutions and as a result, I've been making my position more and more like my MTB position. Even with all that, I still lose all feeling by the 30min mark, which forces me to stand 5 mins out of 30 (which screws up my training HR). Interestingly, I have zero symptoms on my MTB - even doing a 1:45hr sit and spin climb. Lately, I've been thinking about package positioning and its possible impact.

I have long been baffled by most shorts on the market because the pad area in the front doesn't provide enough coverage for Mr Happy and he doesn't like hanging out on seams. The only two brands I have managed to find that have an adequate front pad area are Assos (too spendy and they have the weirdest sizing on the planet) and Santini (fall apart pretty easy and the chamois stitching is "prickly"). Obviously, I have only considered bibs.

1st question: Can anyone recommend other brands that have a front pad area similar in size to Assos + Santini?

2nd question: After seeing this picture, I am wondering if maybe having Mr Happy tucked into the pad might actually cause problems? It sure doesn't look comfortable, but obviously, pros put in tons of miles and maybe this picture illustrates that a small front pad where the seams separate the "boys" from Mr Happy might be beneficial.

Maybe I am just used to having the package tucked on the right side with the tip pointing down when I am wearing jeans, etc?

(I never thought I'd have a reason to ask other men this) Where do you keep the goods?

Help?

·
Off the back.
64 Posts
To prevent turtling run him down the left leg (or right, horses for courses) of your shorts and keep him snug with the silicone grippers at the cuff.

Works for me except on Assos F1 Mille... those legs are too long.

:p

In truth I keep him pointing North no matter which direction I'm heading.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
why worry about it? just let mr happy hang out where he wants to hang out. who cares what other people think?

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
dude.

Im thinking one of two things... Saddle height, saddle angle, handlebar height.

If this happens with any frequency, its not the shorts, its your fit regardless of your MTB positioning. Have someone take a pic of you on the bike in various pedal positions, post it here (or in the beginners forum) and say to critique your form. You will get 25 or so responses, of which you should trust 5 or 6. Seriously.. the problem is that with that kind of problem, people 9 times out of 10 will try the shotgun approach and change 4 things at once and just screw up something else. Worst case... your bike doesnt fit. Medium case, you need a new saddle, best case... your positioning sucks.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
It's all position and saddle and it won't matter what shorts, devices, duct tape, or epoxy you chose to use. You need to get a different saddle or try some major modifications on your placement. If you don't you've got some serious future issues developing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think that the numbness is caused by lack of blood to the tallywhacker and I don't think that extra padding in the shorts is the answer. Probably the lack of a problem on the mountain bike relates to the fact that you are always shifting your weight and getting out of the saddle. I found that saddles with the anatomical cut out work for me when I recently started to have problems, I rode a Fizik Aliante for 5 years without problems then all of a sudden the old fellow was getting numb after about 30 minutes. Either the padding on the Aliante degraded and I was putting pressure on the scranus (scrotum/anus bridge) causing the blood flow or my body morphed but either way I knew that being numb in the twigs and berries was a bad thing.

Only cyclist can discuss this topic!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
And unlike most massages you can handle this one by yourself!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
Kubuntu Linux comes with Adept for managing packages....wai----you weren't talking about those kinda packages now was you?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
You're not going numb on the MTB because you get off the saddle frequently.
5 minutes out of 30 isn't that much. Practice and you can do it without changing your HR.

How you place your "package" has no impact on numbness, which is caused by pressure on the nerves behind the "package". Besides getting up off the saddle frequently, you can reduce numbness by selecting a good saddle (Specialized Toupe works for me) and getting your bike set up in a good position.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
swing it. I don't know how people do it "up".... cuz I tried it, and it goes down with gravity with every pedal stroke.

So now I start down, and keep down. Down to the side that is. It's weird at first, but no complaints so far.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.