Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
There has been alot of talk about "getting an Oppy" on here but not much feedback on how they ride? Im wondering if they still ride smoothly after a few months of racing. Also, are they still making them? any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an Oppy Lyon about 7 months ago. Previously I was riding an alluminium cheapy with Sora groupset, so certainly a step up in many directions. I found the ride quite plush but not so much as to miss out on some road feedback. Compared to the GT it was like riding on carpet yet still stiff in the BB for sprints.
I too struggled with the idea of a full carbon frame with Ultegra SL and other luxuries for the price (back then $2500). I did heaps of research but as you have noted, there is little in way of reviews after any reasonable length of time. Ride did do one on the Le Mauco and noted it as a good solid all round performer.
I tested several bikes (Avanti & Specialized) and to be honest I couldn't go past the Oppy on ride and handling quality alone. I just had to put the bike snobbery out of my mind and go with what I wanted to ride, regardless of the price. It was just fortunate the best ride was also $1,000 or more cheaper.
I was told the frames are made in Taiwan/China (like almost all others) and really there are only a few factories that do so, hence the frame is built by maybe the same guys as say Giant or Merida (although build and design are two seperate things).
I race mine at crits and must say I have no beefs at all. I often search the net for any negative feedback but have found none yet - I guess I was also thinkig this was too good to be true? Several bike shop guys said they were just selling them cheap to get the brand back out there as a serious bike after decades of KMart status.
The frame has held up fine and not changed in anyway since day one, and I have probably put on maybe 3,500 kms since then. And to give Mavic a wrap, the wheels have stayed perfectly true.
Yeah people will turn up their noses at you, scoff behind your back and point with a smirk at your MS whilst they sit on their Colnago, but there is no better feeling than being first over the line and having these same guys asking you genuine questions about the bike afterwards.
I noticed on the Malvern Star site these bikes have gone up in price by about $1,000 since I bought mine, so I assume they wil be re-released. Also LBS guys said these were a limited release to again get interest and they would be re-released later in 2009.
Hopes this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts