Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loungers, I need your collective skills, attention, etc.

Yesterday my brother-in-law was hit by a pickup while riding. Though his worst injury is a broken thumb, it was a pretty gruesome crash. He's home, and we're all very thankful that he isn't permanently injured, and are certain that his helmet saved his life, or at least major head damage.

I don't have exact detail on how it all happened yet, but it looks like he was t-boned and went into the windshield with his head, arm and shoulder. Smashed it right in. His bike is a goner as well, but as long as he's not a goner, we're all happy.

Trouble is, he shredded his favorite jersey, and then they cut it off him at the hospital. And typical of crash victims, the fact that the jersey is gone is bothering him more than anything else. He bought it on a trip to Italy a couple of years back, and it had some meaning for him. I'd really like to replace it.

Please take a look at the jersey below and if you have time, see if you can find one online or in your LBS. I'm still ascertaining the size he needs, but in the meantime just finding a source would be good. If you find one in the right size, I'll buy it, and have Chain send you the Lounge glass of your choice to say thanks.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Best of luck finding a replacement, and I'll keep my eyes open too, but whether the search is successful or not ... you need to sponsor him to a custom framing for the old one so he can hang it on his wall.

Because, like, yowsa. He didn't dodge a bullet. He dodged a frickin' cannonball.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
<-------- Is glad your brother in law is OK. Good luck finding the jersey, that would be a nice gesture. I'll keep the eyes peeled.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
skyphix said:
Its hard to tell, was it long sleeve?
No kidding, and based on that too it's amazing that he came out with only a broken thumb. Glad to hear that the jersey is the biggest problem!

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
That windshield reminds me of the Mythbusters episode where they simulated a car hitting moose.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
When my younger brother was in highschool he got hit by a small truck while riding his KX125 where he shouldn't have been (they were mountain dirt roads but they were maintained public roads that just happened to not be paved). The windshield looked almost identical to that (except his helmet went completely through and hit the drivers hand on the steering wheel breaking a few of the drivers fingers) and he had much more damage than a broken thumb including a shattered leg that ended an outstanding highschool football running back career he had going. Glass was still migrating out of his skin years later. But, like you, we were just glad he was alive. I'm glad to hear your brother-in-law had only minor injuries, hopefully his jersey can be replaced.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
It looks like he hit pretty dead center on the glass, and that probably distributed the impact over a much greater time. He was lucky, very lucky. Keep in mind injuries from such trauma can show up later, so keep an eye on him and make sure others do to.

I got nothing on the jersey, but looks like people are on it for you. Older national team jerseys are hard to find, it might take a while to get an exact match. But if any group can find one, this group can.

Good luck to you with the search, and to him on his recovery!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Wow. This brings back some memories. Had my Grateful Dead jersey from my daughter cut off me after my hit and run three years ago. I was in the middle of cancer treatments and never got around to replacing it. I think I'll do that sooner than later.

Soooooo glad your BIL is okay. Those things do heal up. Tell him to hang tough.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow, glad he's OK. That pic is extremely scary.

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skyphix said:
Its hard to tell, was it long sleeve?

So glad he's ok - searching now.

EDIT: It appears that it was the italian national cycling jersey, still researching which year.
Short sleeve for sure. Definitely the national team jersey--made by Sportful--but I'm not sure what year either.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts

·
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dr hoo said:
It looks like he hit pretty dead center on the glass, and that probably distributed the impact over a much greater time. He was lucky, very lucky. Keep in mind injuries from such trauma can show up later, so keep an eye on him and make sure others do to.

I got nothing on the jersey, but looks like people are on it for you. Older national team jerseys are hard to find, it might take a while to get an exact match. But if any group can find one, this group can.

Good luck to you with the search, and to him on his recovery!
My sister's an RN, and she's on the case. Thanks for your concern, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts