Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one hear how he is doing? He was going pretty fast when he went down. I didn't see any footage of the actual crash, He was sitting up when they got there...but I understand they took him off to the hospital and he is done for this race.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Any one hear how he is doing? He was going pretty fast when he went down. I didn't see any footage of the actual crash, He was sitting up when they got there...but I understand they took him off to the hospital and he is done for this race.
Fast indeed, cause while he was sitting up, his bike was still stumbling down the road.

·
Registered
114 Posts
He hit a rock in the road that was in the shadows and didn't see it. Bad break for the guy, he had the KOM locked up for Rock Racing. Overall for Rock a good showing, stage win and a guy in almost every break. Had a shot a KOM for the tour until today. Seems to be a good thing when MB isn't around. According to cyclingnews it looks like they are good through the end of the year at least.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/?id=/news/2009/feb09/feb19news2

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you could see the rock on the tracker footage. I didn't see any blood but I couldn't really tell.....still haven't been able to get a report on his condition. They figured he was doing close to 60 mph

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
cycledog81 said:
He hit a rock in the road that was in the shadows and didn't see it. Bad break for the guy, he had the KOM locked up for Rock Racing. Overall for Rock a good showing, stage win and a guy in almost every break. Had a shot a KOM for the tour until today. Seems to be a good thing when MB isn't around. According to cyclingnews it looks like they are good through the end of the year at least.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/?id=/news/2009/feb09/feb19news2

I figured he hit that rock. It was pretty big and jagged. He is lucky he didnt roll into the shoulder.

How far out is Hamilton? He gobbled up some KOM points, right?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok...I see it now....

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was on a motorcycle and saw them load him into the ambulance. They didnt seem in too big a hurry, I hope he is ok. Tyler was behind, looked like he had a mechanical, so did Freddy

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
den bakker said:
So with McCartney at 29 and Hamilton at 22, will the four KOM climbs be heavily contested tomorrow? How many points are awarded on each climb for final stage (I tried to find this info, but to no avail)? It might be interesting if Hamilton decides to go for a long breakaway, with Sevilla and McCartney fighting it out from peloton.

·
Registered
832 Posts
55x11 said:
So with McCartney at 29 and Hamilton at 22, will the four KOM climbs be heavily contested tomorrow? How many points are awarded on each climb for final stage (I tried to find this info, but to no avail)? It might be interesting if Hamilton decides to go for a long breakaway, with Sevilla and McCartney fighting it out from peloton.
Yeah, I think Sevilla's been itching for this stage. Watch him and Hamilton try and make a run for it.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
weltyed said:
being from Iowa, I would like to see mcartny win KoM. I would also like to see Tyler do well.

What part of Iowa are you from?! I m in Jason's birthplace Burlington, and have ridden with him about 5 times in the last couple years. He now resides in Iowa City / Coralville and will hook up with some group rides a couple times a year just to be a nice guy. First time I ever rode with him I was doing a little out and back in Iowa City when I came across this guy in a full Discovery kit. Figured it was just another guy. He was riding slower, I passed him next thing I know he comes along side me. We chat for 5-10 min until I realize its him. I was like OMGWTFBBQ! He s always been very friendly and is a true ambassador of the sport. I hope he gets the KOM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Paco! That had to hurt. Saw it online right before I went for a ride; it was about all I could think about during my descents today. He was having a helluva race too. Terrible. Hope he heals up well. He's an terrific cyclist. That first stage was heroic -- he may have been caught if they didn't change the times at the circuit, but going that hard, alone, all day... Paco Mancebo = MAN!

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
deastin said:
What part of Iowa are you from?! I m in Jason's birthplace Burlington, and have ridden with him about 5 times in the last couple years. He now resides in Iowa City / Coralville and will hook up with some group rides a couple times a year just to be a nice guy. First time I ever rode with him I was doing a little out and back in Iowa City when I came across this guy in a full Discovery kit. Figured it was just another guy. He was riding slower, I passed him next thing I know he comes along side me. We chat for 5-10 min until I realize its him. I was like OMGWTFBBQ! He s always been very friendly and is a true ambassador of the sport. I hope he gets the KOM.

I grew up in Davenport and went to UNI. Rode MTB more back then. Did Sugarbottom a few times.

Is it McCartney who gets Horner to get out to IA City for JingleCross?

·
Registered
962 Posts
That crash was a real shame! RR was/is having such a good showing at the ToC. Which is exactly what they needed, with all the money issues going on before the season.

I think Michael Ball is a little goofy, but having sponsors outside the normal group come into the sport is great. I also like the flair they bring to the peleton. The Caddies are sweet!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate to see any one go down, especially at those speeds. I am glad he didn't get hurt a LOT worse. That could have been catastrophic!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts