Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
given the longer wheelbase of the roubaix compared to the tarmac or allez, has anyone found it to be more difficult to maneuver especially in slow speed (e.g. turning into a narrow walkway that has a bollard in the middle and brick wall on either side)? cheers.

boon

·
Registered
484 Posts
Plenty menuverable at low speed. You'd really have to ride an allez and a roubaix back to back and really pay a lot of attention to notice or at least I would. I just replaced an allez with a roubaix and they are very close in responsiveness.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Maneuverability - road vs. MTB

boon said:
given the longer wheelbase of the roubaix compared to the tarmac or allez, has anyone found it to be more difficult to maneuver especially in slow speed (e.g. turning into a narrow walkway that has a bollard in the middle and brick wall on either side)? cheers.
I wouldn't worry about it. Both the Tarmac and Allez will have shorter wheelbases than just about any MTB, including those MTBs which are good at zig-zagging through rooty rock gardens.

MTBs are more frequently used for slow manuevering through tight, technical trail sections, but in reality most road bikes have shorter wheelbases and quicker steering than MTBs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No problems here... I haven't ridden the other bikes you mentioned, but if you're fitted properly on your bike you should have no trouble... there may be an adjustment period just like you have with any change.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi all

thanks for your responses. picked up my roubaix elite (UK/Canada spec) today. your responses have made me feel a bit more reassured that swapping between the Allez Sport (which will now be my weekday short ride bike) and the Roubaix Elite (weekend long ride bike) won't be too dramatic with regard to the handling characteristics.

can't wait to take it out for a spin over the long easter weekend. that is one sexy looking bike! :D

boon

·
Registered
309 Posts
boon said:
hi all

thanks for your responses. picked up my roubaix elite (UK/Canada spec) today. your responses have made me feel a bit more reassured that swapping between the Allez Sport (which will now be my weekday short ride bike) and the Roubaix Elite (weekend long ride bike) won't be too dramatic with regard to the handling characteristics.

can't wait to take it out for a spin over the long easter weekend. that is one sexy looking bike! :D

boon
I went from an Allez Elite to a Roubaix Comp. No problems going back and forth between the two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts