Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in both Manhattan and Downtown Boston this last week--I was surprised at the lack of singlespeders/commuters on bikes in the big apple in comparison to beantown. In Manhattan I saw the guys heading to work on their beaters with the milk crate/basket set up, but Boston had me craining my neck every minute or so whilst a fixed or ss rider whizzed by.

I must admit I expected to se a messenger or somebody in NYC on a Fixed, nary a one. was this abberation or does Boston cycle more than NYC? Granted, both were bitterly cold out, but Boston seemed to have a more vibrant cycling culture. Anyone want to elaborate, call me down, etc? Was I just noting the difference in the mass transportation systems?

I was looking predominantly at Fixed bikes when out, if this would fit more appropriately elsewhere, pls feel free to move my posting.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
my observation in Boston is that about 85-90% of the messenger crowd is on SS/fixies. Even saw a pretty new Bianchi Pista the other day instead of all the converted beaters...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts