Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm planning on doing some touring this summer, and I'd like to have quick access to my maps. I don't plan on using a handlebar bag since they're cumbersome, and I've got my cycling computer and heart rate monitor taking up space as it is; I've already seen the handlebar-mount mapcases (Arkel, etc.), and I'm not fond of how they interfere with my hand position on the bars. My only other thought is a foldable mapcase that I can roll up and stuff in the back of my jersey, but I'm curious about other options.

I was wondering if anyone has some real-world touring experience or advice with regards to making maps accessable while touring. Any ideas, photos of your map mounting set-ups, or other uniquely rigged options would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Campmor link, PdxMark (always glad to support the bike guys at Campmor).

That map case seems a bit more narrow than the Arkel and others I'd previously seen, so it might work for me (that is, it might allow me to use the tops of my bars and secure a map at the same time). I'll check it out.

I'm planning a rather serpentine route and need access fairly often to my map or cue sheet, so this may fit the bill. My main criteria is that it doesn't obstruct my hand positions.

Any other non-bar mounted options out there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just

Stop to look at my map.... If looks like I wont have very many turns I carry post it notes and write down my next 5 turns and the est.. miliage

Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts