Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw SDopera's Barber of Seville. Nice production. Tenor was good, very good for this type of role but voice a tad thin for my taste. Christopher Maltman was monstrous as Figaro and Top Notch Italian Bass Ferrucio Furlanetto kills it as Basilio. last perf is tomorrow, but coming next is Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor. Fresh upcoming Diva in the making Angela Gilbert is in the lead. She's been studying with Joan Sutherland's husband so she's dead serious about stepping up. Richard leech is a fine tenor in the male lead.

www.sdopera.com

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Holy cow! Lucia in SD. Saw a performance of Lucia in Rome at the Teatro dell' Opera a zillion years ago. Starred Kathleen Costello (at the time a young up and coming diva) and ALFREDO KRAUSS! What an evening. Clicking onto sdopera.com ..... now.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
My wife and I are planning on attending La Boheme' this spring.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where are they doing La Boheme?

they did it here (SD) last season. If you haven't seen it or are new to opera this is a great one. you really can't go wrong with Puccini. plus if you've seen Rent the story will be somehow, for some strange reason, vaguely familiar.
I've seen La Boheme 3x, never get tired of it. One of my fave's though I'll take Turandot over anything.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
They are doing it at the Lyric Opera House in Baltimore.

We know the plot and I think it helps to know what you are going to see and hear before you go. They have subtitles above the stage.

We have seen

The Marriage of Figaro
IL Trovatore
Tosca
Barber of Seville

Live opera is cool.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a good sample

The Marriage of Figaro A very Nice Mozart. some of his are actually too note-y for me.
IL Trovatore - can't go wrong with Verdi
Tosca - VA Tosca! one of the great bass arias.with the choir in the background.one ofmy fave moments.Puccini Rules!
Barber of Seville - just saw it. gotta love Rossini.

Live opera is cool. yes it is. you've made some good choices.

my fave Wagner is The Flying Dutchman

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
atpjunkie said:
The Marriage of Figaro A very Nice Mozart. some of his are actually too note-y for me.
Tosca - VA Tosca! one of the great bass arias.with the choir in the background.one ofmy fave moments.Puccini Rules!

Haven't seen that one and will have to get the music to it. I watched Wagner's Rings on MPT several years ago, wow that was a full night of opera for several nights in a row. Wagner was famous for each character having their own melodic line, does that hold true in the Flying Dutchman. I think Wagner's overtures rock.

On my short list is

Madame Butterfly
La Traviata

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 Classics

Madame Butterfly
La Traviata

Traviata is great as is Butterfly. especially if you haven't seen either. I think the next time I'll see Butterfly is when my daughter is old enough to enjoy it. I've seen it 3 or 4 times and have had my fill.
Trav is always a good time. The drinking Song is my cell ringer.

add Turandot to that list.Puccini'sbest IMHO, even though the master put down his pen
(he died) and his understudy had to finish it.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
atpjunkie said:

Turandot is great. I don't think I've seen any Wagner over the years. I would love to see something like Lohengrin or Dutchman. It's on my list of things to do.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
atpjunkie said:
gets all the good stuff of Wagner without burying you under tons of material. heavy Mrs Marsh, Heavy Johnny

ya ever tried to do the Ring Cycle?
Never tried it. I don't even think we have it complete here on LPs/CD. :(

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dutchman

gets all the good stuff of Wagner without burying you under tons of material. heavy Mrs Marsh, Heavy Johnny

ya ever tried to do the Ring Cycle?

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I also saw Tchaikovsky's iolanta's semi staged opera. It was great!

When I saw IL Trovatore there was a russian woman siging the aria about how she took the prince's son and to get even for her mother's torture she threw the baby in her campfire in a rage and with horror realized it was her own baby.

The hair literally stood up on the back of my neck!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
bigrider said:
I also saw Tchaikovsky's iolanta's semi staged opera. It was great!

When I saw IL Trovatore there was a russian woman siging the aria about how she took the prince's son and to get even for her mother's torture she threw the baby in her campfire in a rage and with horror realized it was her own baby.

The hair literally stood up on the back of my neck!!!
Saw Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades a few years ago. Got the tix for free and enjoyed it, even if it was in the barn of a hall we call the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion here in LA.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
Carmen was our second date

Me and Sogno's second date was Bizet's Carmen, performed by the New York City Opera at the LA Music Center. I went to the box office and lucked out - getting second row center tickets.

It was a life-changing experience, and not just because I had Sogno by my side, looking great in her best duds. Though I'd always loved classical music, I was only just getting into classical vocals. I mostly just listened to Lieder. The last opera I'd been to was when I was a kid. The Magic Flute - thanks to the LA city schools.

Anyway, back to the Carmen. I was floored. The cynicism. The madness. The sex. Though the opera was sung in French, I had no problem following what was going on. The tale was straight out of a Country & Western song. Soldier falls hard for hot chica. Hot chica leads Soldier on, and then dumps him for a man more macho. Soldier kills hot chica in a jealous rage. Soldier is led away by the cops.

What got me most of all, though, was the music. Intoxicating. Roiling. Tender. Vicious. Every tune a killer. "So this is opera?" I thought. Yeah. For the next five or so years, I listened to opera one heck of a lot.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Kids

Carmen is on the schedule this season. And the gal playing Carmen, not only can sing, but Schmokin'!'
dayum!

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
We got free tix a couple of months ago to see Cecelia Bartoli at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. She was touring to support her current record "Opera Proibita" which happens to be nominated for a Grammy tonight.

You know you are in the presence of a gifted artist when she is able to pick out obscure songs and bring them to your attention. Then you're sitting there listening and going "hey, that's a really great little song there". Great performers and good taste go together that way. :)

The Magic Flute in SD. Tempting....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do the Flute

costume and sets byZandra Rhodes is not to be missed!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts