Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love it? Hate it? Couldn't care less?

Myself - I love it. More so when my alma mater is playing, but even if they're not I still think its so much fun to watch. No overpaid athletes, just kids playing their hearts out.

I'm a fairly big sports fan, and I think this takes the cake as the most entertaining.

Oh yeah - I won my first eBay auction yesterday....winning tickets to the Big East Tournament in NYC. Will get to see my gf's alma at 7, then mine at 9. I think I lost a good amount of my hair doing the whole eBay thing....

Go Eeers!

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Love it, love it, love it.

This is a great year for college ball.

I love watching Villanova, especially when they're playing UConn. Four guard lineup vs. the tallest college team I've ever seen play. They split the first two, and they'll probably play again this week.

F*ck Duke.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I am not a huge fan, but I like to watch the early round games and hope that the little schools knock the big ones out. Living near Louisville, I kind of get sick of the focus that college basketball gets around here (UofL, UK) and the life or death attitude people have about it.
After the first few rounds, might watch the final four, but that is about it.

Oh, and any game that Duke gets beat is good. Pretty much every year that Duke does not win I think is a good year.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nova

Alex-in-Evanston said:
This is a great year for college ball.

I love watching Villanova, especially when they're playing UConn. Four guard lineup vs. the tallest college team I've ever seen play. They split the first two, and they'll probably play again this week.

F*ck Duke.
Nova is my gf's team. They are a fun team to watch, as is WVU. We were at the Nova/WVU game in Villanova earlier this year....thankfully the outcome of that game was correct! Needless to say, I think I was 1 of 5 Mountaineer fans at the Pavillion....but I left smiling.

As stated previously - GO EERS

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
College BB Nut here......

graduate of St Joe's, grew up in Philly sneaking into the Palestra Big 5 games.....weaned on the greatest sport of all College BB.

I've got tickets for both the round of 16 in Philly & the eastern Regional in DC.

It's hard for any Big 5 fan to route for Nova (after Rolly single-handedly destroyed the city series), but I like the new coach and I like the way they play the game.

In College BB, all you need to win is 2 better than average Guards and a great coach.

My Cinderella this year is GW. If they get their center back healthy, watch out...I wouldn't want to play them.

Several years ago, I got direct TV & got the college BB package. After 3 weeks of not getting any sleep because I was staying up watching west coast games until 3 in the AM....I had to have it cancelled.....I'm len & I'm an addict.

This week is as good as any in the tournament because of all the conference tournaments.

Len

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
The The

Friction_Shifter said:
I changed my avatar for march madness. I always like the cinderella that does well also. Go Bucks!
What's up with the The? That's so annoying.

Dee Brown is going to spank your buckeye ass. James Augustine is the second coming of James Edwards.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
What's up with the The? That's so annoying.
QUOTE]

Almost as bad as football players stating their pre schools, etc, etc.

THE West Virginia University! Hmmm, doesn't really work....

·
gazing from the shadows
27,224 Posts
I like it. I like to see the kids letting it all hang out, especially the small schools. They get on national television and just go full bore from the opening tip, and I like to see that. Unlike pro basketball, where everything is the last 5 minutes.

The best thing is there is ALWAYS a cinderella, and there are ALWAYS last second winning shots. Pure joy, pure pain. Opening week games are the best.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
dr hoo said:
I like it. I like to see the kids letting it all hang out, especially the small schools. They get on national television and just go full bore from the opening tip, and I like to see that. Unlike pro basketball, where everything is the last 5 minutes.

The best thing is there is ALWAYS a cinderella, and there are ALWAYS last second winning shots. Pure joy, pure pain. Opening week games are the best.
'cept when Princeton slaps down my Bruins. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I'm not feeling a lot of love here

Believe it or not, once upon a time Duke was a Cinderella team -- back when I was at Duke in 1978 (pre Coach K era). It is a good thing that I am one of the few Duke alums who do not take basketball seriously. Otherwise, I would be feeling kind of unwelcome here.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MarkS said:
Believe it or not, once upon a time Duke was a Cinderella team -- back when I was at Duke in 1978 (pre Coach K era). It is a good thing that I am one of the few Duke alums who do not take basketball seriously. Otherwise, I would be feeling kind of unwelcome here.
Ahhh....I wouldn't take it to heart. Duke is one the best teams of the moment....just like so many people like to hate the Cowboys in their heyday....the Yankees....Lance.....etc...etc.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Flynn said:
Ahhh....I wouldn't take it to heart. Duke is one the best teams of the moment....just like so many people like to hate the Cowboys in their heyday....the Yankees....Lance.....etc...etc.
Yes, but Coach K is always so easy to hate, kind of like Pitino

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Big 5 ............

Len J said:
graduate of St Joe's, grew up in Philly sneaking into the Palestra Big 5 games.....weaned on the greatest sport of all College BB.

I've got tickets for both the round of 16 in Philly & the eastern Regional in DC.

It's hard for any Big 5 fan to route for Nova (after Rolly single-handedly destroyed the city series), but I like the new coach and I like the way they play the game.

In College BB, all you need to win is 2 better than average Guards and a great coach.

My Cinderella this year is GW. If they get their center back healthy, watch out...I wouldn't want to play them.

Several years ago, I got direct TV & got the college BB package. After 3 weeks of not getting any sleep because I was staying up watching west coast games until 3 in the AM....I had to have it cancelled.....I'm len & I'm an addict.

This week is as good as any in the tournament because of all the conference tournaments.

Len
My Dad played for St Joe's (49-50), uncles, cousins, etc went to and or played for LaSalle, Temple, Villanova, Drexel & Penn. Always great family rivalries. Grew up watching games at the Palestra. Matty Goukas, Billy Melchioni, Cliff Anderson .... good stuff
Now I am down here in Raleigh, and my wife's family is the same way ... rooting for NC State, Carolina, Wake Forest or Duke ... ACC is fun too !
JJ

·
Registered
317 Posts
Flynn said:
....just like so many people like to hate the Cowboys in their heyday....the Yankees....Lance.....etc...etc.
Unless you are a Carolina Fan. :) I would have loved to have been on Franklin Street on Saturday, but I was out of state at the in laws. I was there in 1993 when Carolina won the Championship. That was a heck of a night!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts

jch2112 said:
Unless you are a Carolina Fan. :) I would have loved to have been on Franklin Street on Saturday, but I was out of state at the in laws. I was there in 1993 when Carolina won the Championship. That was a heck of a night!

I was in Chapel Hill THREE DAYS AFTER Carolina won the NCAA tournament in 1982 and everyone still was hung over. Franklin Street was completely covered in carolina blue paint. I had a business meeting in Philadelphia the day after Villanova won the 1985 NCAA championship. Needless to say, we did not get any work done.

Even if you are not a big sports fan, it is a great feeling when you are in town when the local team has won a championship. Unfortunately, I never was in Durham for a Duke victory.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I love the attacks on Duke.......

MarkS said:
I was in Chapel Hill THREE DAYS AFTER Carolina won the NCAA tournament in 1982 and everyone still was hung over. Franklin Street was completely covered in carolina blue paint. I had a business meeting in Philadelphia the day after Villanova won the 1985 NCAA championship. Needless to say, we did not get any work done.

Even if you are not a big sports fan, it is a great feeling when you are in town when the local team has won a championship. Unfortunately, I never was in Durham for a Duke victory.
especially when they come from Tarheel fans.

Growing up, Philly & NY were big recruiting areas for Carolina. The first out of ACC area, broadcast of ACC games was Sat afternoons in Philly & NY. We got Carolina games continually. I started out as a Carolina fan, but never saw a worse game coach than Dean Smith....he wasted more talent than most schools saw in a decade. It got so frustrating to watch.

The funny thing about Coack K is that if he were hired anywhere today, he would never get the time he got to develop his program......there is too much pressure to win now.

What's with the Coach K hating?

len

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KenB said:
What is it?
I'm guessing you could've as easily written "Couldn't care less...."

Thanks for playing!

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
MarkS said:
Durham in the house. You're not alone...go Duke!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts