Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any good riding around there? I know Naples has some. The drive from Naples to Marco Island, if memory serves, seemed to be on a major, multi-lane road - not good for riding. I'm guess that there is some riding right around the island but maybe one just has to stay very local.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Eh... not really.

That part of the world is not a cycling mecca. I haven't been to Marco in quite a while, but I remember it as a small, densely built island in an isolated part of the Glades. One ride I DO like in that general area is Estero Island to Captiva Island. It's north (Ft. Myers), but it's a scenic, fun ride with decent road shoulders with a good bridge climb.

Whatever you do, don't get desperate and try to ride Aligator Alley. A GREAT way to get yourself killed.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Don't think so

I used to ride Marco when I was a kid and it was sparesely populated. My grandparents had one of the first houses on the island. Haven't been there in a few years, but Marco has been overpopulated for at least 20 years, mostly by senior-citizen snowbirds, and the little old ladies who can barely see over the dashboard of their Cadillacs are a serious danger. I've nearly been run over walking, driving and biking. I love my grandma, but she shouldn't be driving anymore, and neither should at least 10% of the people on Marco. (OK, gross generalization, but you get my point - even if it's only 2%, there are a lot of Cadillacs rolling around down there without proper guidance.)

That said, if I was heading down there again, I'd probably find someplace to ride...I just can't think right now where it would be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts