Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Barely 18, still in highshool, reighning European Champ, beat Hanka Kupfernagel in the sprint.
Daphny van der Brand had a front flat, and although the gap was close, under the pacing of the German she never managed to close the gap fully, and then fell back to finish a solid 3rd anyway.
Vos took the lead halfway the last lap, but couldn't shape of Kupfernagel, who took the initiative back soon enough.
Where yesterday Boom failed to stay on Stybar's rear wheel on the dirtroad descend leading to the finish straight, the Dutch schoolgirl stuck to the German's rear wheel like glue. Half the finishline she attacked, and took the win with more than a length.

It was a real tactical battle of the highest level, Kupfernagel in the last km almost came to a complete halt. Ladies love their sur-place action, don't they?

I've been a fan of Marianne for years. She hardly ever got to start together with the boys, but often beat the crap out them them anyway, starting minutes later than the boys her age, and catching most of them back.
Vos is known to be winning it all, mountainbike, road and cross.
Where does that have to go, when she doesn't have to any schoolwork to put enrgy to? But likely she'll go to university after this schoolyear, she's doing the highest level in highschool. You can't ride that fast and endure such pain if you're not really smart.

Deep respect, beating a 31 y/o road pro and triple cross world champion in the sprint...

In an interview Marianne admited that Hanka *almost* dropped her on the final lap, but she knew she had to hold on whatever happened. For a sprint, she can always find the strength, and was always confident about her chances on the line. After her finish, she did collapse in total exhaustion.

Hurray Marianne!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As the course has been frosen solid with no moist or ice thrown in the mix, comparing lap times is interesting.

-23 on saturday : opening lap 7:05 , Boom's solo lap 7:06, 7:42 when the leading trio took a breath.

Ladies : 7:45 opening lap. Second lap with some attempts from vd Brand to get a gap : 7:53

Intriguininly, road pro Miriam Melchers (stepmom to juniors winner Van Poppel, his dad was an outstanding road pro) was in 4th most of the race, always solo. She only started doing cross over the past years, and was immediately competitive. More guts than most women, even mountainbikers, though still never a true cross natural. Her exceptional fitness and mental power bring her to be a big cross contender in what is really her off-season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Cloxxki said:
As the course has been frosen solid with no moist or ice thrown in the mix, comparing lap times is interesting.

-23 on saturday : opening lap 7:05 , Boom's solo lap 7:06, 7:42 when the leading trio took a breath.

Ladies : 7:45 opening lap. Second lap with some attempts from vd Brand to get a gap : 7:53

Intriguininly, road pro Miriam Melchers (stepmom to juniors winner Van Poppel, his dad was an outstanding road pro) was in 4th most of the race, always solo. She only started doing cross over the past years, and was immediately competitive. More guts than most women, even mountainbikers, though still never a true cross natural. Her exceptional fitness and mental power bring her to be a big cross contender in what is really her off-season.
I enjoy your writting style. I undestand that English is likely not your first language, but there's a certain flair to your prose.

You can beat me down for thread drift here, but here it goes. My hat's off to Ann Knap the first American finisher. She's known as the queen of cross around here and perhaps the athlete with the most class. When she's not on the course she's the worlds biggest cross cheer leader. I remember one time I was slogging around the back of a race having crashed all over the place and she ran along side of me and gave me a little pep talk. She especially encourages the juniors. She seems to always overachieve at worlds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
DuGast said:
You arrogant twat
let me re phrase that. Cloxxki. Thank you for taking the time to update us folks across the pond. Some how Mr DuGast has interpreted this as some form of criticism. Criticism it is not, it is indeed encouragement and thanks.

I thought we were all friends here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
I'll add my thanks, Cloxxki. It's been fun to read your perspective on the races. And about Ann Knapp: a great result, and one better than Lynne Bessette (!)

From what I've seen she's classy and all about competing, nothing about ego. I watched her follow a male racer in mud and snow and she was coaching the guy on lines... while leading her race... and for two years in a row now she's gone out of her way at races to make girl talk with my 6-year-old. My kid is a 'cross fan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
DuGast said:
You arrogant twat
I understand that english may not be your first language... but that's not a complete sentence without a period.

Kidding, of course. Cloxxki's writing is better than most english speakers and his perspective is appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
I lived in the Netherlands for several years and am English. There is a saying in England that when someone writes or speaks English well (i.e. better than a typical English person) that they must be Dutch. I believe a typical Dutch person takes no less than seven years of English in school.

Nice job by Ann Knapp, makes you wonder how Katie Compton would have fared?? I think the most impressive result is Bjorn Sealander.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
I lived in the Netherlands for several years and am English. There is a saying in England that when someone writes or speaks English well (i.e. better than a typical English person) that they must be Dutch. I believe a typical Dutch person takes no less than seven years of English in school.
Yes, but most of us tend to think we speak it better than we actually do. But the RBR forum is something like typo paradise so we get away with it most of the time. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Back to the racing....

...is junior cross champ Boy Van Poppel related to the Dutch sprinting sensation Jean Paul Van Poppel?
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
drevelo66 said:
...is junior cross champ Boy Van Poppel related to the Dutch sprinting sensation Jean Paul Van Poppel?

IIRC, that's his kid, and Miriam Melchers's step-mom. VDB must be a bit annoyed, but you knew Hanka would be there in the finish. Setzer said about Vos last year or the year before when she won a big race (maybe even the DNC), "we got another one". Good for her and looks like some healthy comp for VDB for years to come.

BTW, Page top 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
FatTireFred said:
IIRC, that's his kid, and Miriam Melchers's step-mom. VDB must be a bit annoyed, but you knew Hanka would be there in the finish. Setzer said about Vos last year or the year before when she won a big race (maybe even the DNC), "we got another one". Good for her and looks like some healthy comp for VDB for years to come.

BTW, Page top 10.[/QU

Van Poppel, Roche, Duclos-LaSalle-quite a generation of talent coming up!
 

·
Irregular poster
Joined
·
21 Posts
FatTireFred said:
...Setzer said about Vos last year or the year before when she won a big race (maybe even the DNC), "we got another one".
That's right I said that 2 years ago, but it was the last race of the worldcup in Pijnacker 2004. Which had the same podium as now, Vos 1st Kupfernagel 2nd and van den Brand 3rd. She ended up getting second overall, not bad for 16 year old at that time.

I think she will dominate the women field for some together with Daphny.

I just read a piece on the worlds in the paper which shows that we are still dealing with a teenager with sometimes odd "problems". The last part of the interview was on which sport she would choose, since she is also active on the marathon skating (on ice), roadracing and mountainbiking. She said that the change of sport keeps her fresh and she doesn't have a problem finding time for each one of those, she did however have a problem with combining them all with school. She had to turn in a poetry paper today, but she hoped that they would understand that she didn't finish it.

Also she was interviewed this morning on national radio, at around 9. You hear a very happy young girl who became world champion yesterday, which had to be taken out of biology class for the interview. She also got to school on her bike as usual, and life goes back to usual...

R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have another super star in our region here. Susan de Goede was WC juniors and more recently NC Elite Women. She always used to ride local crosses, and winning them all as a 16yo, just to train over the winter. Still visits some of those grassroots crosses to see some familiar faces. Makes a road ride out of it to go see a race, while honestly there's not much to see.

I think the Danish are much better at English overall. Hard to tell them from native speakers most of the time, apart from the lack of Brittish/American/Australian accent.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top