Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 Marin Portofino made by Billato Bros. with Columbus Foco tube set. I was wondering if that was a standard tubeset that Billato used to produce all frames during that time period?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Billato-built 2000 Marin Treviso says it's Columbus Nemo, which was the predecessor to Foco and UltraFoco. Curiously, the downtube is a shape that the Columbus literature says only came in Foco. I would assume that, like most framemakers, Billato probably built in a variety of tubesets at different pricepoints. As you probably know, Foco was (and still is) one of the top steels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got back from lunch and looked at some of the sites I bookmarked when I was researching my Treviso. I think your frame might be a 2000, not 2001. Archive.org has copies of Marin's webpages from 2000 and 2001, and they only list the portafino in 2000.

2000 Catalog (click "Road Racing")
2001 Catalog (ditto)

The archive isn't complete, so you can't get to all the pages for the portafino, but here's what it says about the frame:

Marin’s top of the line steel frameset features Columbus Foco tubing. This tubeset is heat treated and offers superior strength at a very light weight. The Portafino comes equipped with a carbon fork, and features triangulated seatstays and box section chainstays. This frame is treated with a rust proofing coating called “Cataphoresi”. This electronic dipping process coats both inside and out with an epoxy finish. This treatment adds an extremely minimal amount of weight to the frame and negates the need to use a primer coat while painting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right about the year. I forgot it was a 99 model. I believe Team Shaklee road them in the 99-00 season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the website link. Do you happen to download the geometry chart for 1999-2001 Marin Road Racing bikes? Any year should be fine. Thanks

so Portofino only have one year production in 2000. Besides the Team color and Red/Black color, I also saw some light Blue/dark Blue Silver double side paint graphics Portofino, it has Columbus FOCO tubeset on frame and Nemo steel fork, 1" threadless, so I assume Marin may have a late 1999 production on Portofino.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts