Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this here because being a newby to road riding I am unsure where the local popular routes are. I am looking to do a 20-35 mile ride from SF and into Marin,
hopefully along the water with some nice climbs. This site does not have a route listing like MTBR. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
How much climbing are you interested in?

I would guess the most popular route is over to Tiburon, then up Paradise drive, I think the bike rental places in SF have that route printed .

If you want to go out to west marin and Pt Reyes Station, I am riding that Sunday morning about 8. it is 40 miles from here (San Rafael). PM me for details.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
climbing is not a problem...

I have climbed Mt. Tam on my mountain bike but that was fireroad, I am assuming that there is an actually road there then? Is that accessible from the City?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Tron,
Here's one of the best.... Ride across the GG Bridge, drop into Sausalito, on the north end pick-up the bike path into Mill Valley, get onto the road (Miller)that parallels the path after a mile or 2 and follow it towards downtown MV. Turn left on Monteford (I think)... watch for the bike route signs. This will lead you up to Panoramic Hwy. where you go right. After a few miles you'll reach Pan Toll station, where a right will take you up to the peak. My suggestion though is to stay on Panoramic as it takes you down to Stinson Beach, hang a right on Hwy 1 for a few miles then take a right on Faifax-Bolinas Road (easy to miss... basically an intersection where a left goes to Bolinas, but the right crosses a cattleguard) where you can climb ~1600 feet up to Ridgecrest, then follow it up to the peak. IMHO, this is THE way to do Mt. Tam from the south. The other GREAT route is to catch Fairfax-Bolinas off Sir Francis Drake in Fairfax and Climb through the MMWD lands. Have fun !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.