Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if this is a good deal or not.

$500 for a 98-99 Marinoni Bike. Lugged steel frame, Campy chorus groupo, except for the front derailur which was swapped out for a Shimano 600- not sure when. Everything else looks original. It is an 8 speed double. Not sure on mileage. Frame condition is good.

Is this a good deal for $500?

Currently I am riding the same vintage Bianchi Eros - lugged steel bike. Campy Mirage groupo. 8 speed triple. Definately heavier than the Marinoni. Frame is in good condition as well.

Thanks for the advice all!

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Tubing?

bluebird said:
Trying to figure out if this is a good deal or not.

$500 for a 98-99 Marinoni Bike. Lugged steel frame, Campy chorus groupo, except for the front derailur which was swapped out for a Shimano 600- not sure when. Everything else looks original. It is an 8 speed double. Not sure on mileage. Frame condition is good.

Is this a good deal for $500?

Currently I am riding the same vintage Bianchi Eros - lugged steel bike. Campy Mirage groupo. 8 speed triple. Definately heavier than the Marinoni. Frame is in good condition as well.

Thanks for the advice all!
I have had a few Marinoni frames over the years and I have two in my stable right now. Some might consider me an "expert" on their offerings (then again, there are certainly others with more knowledge!). They are well built Italo-Canadian bikes.

Do you know what tubing it is built with? This goes a fair ways in determining its value. If it is indeed mid-late 90s then it will be Columbus (it is always Columbus with Marinoni) and could be anything: Brain, SL, SLX, Neuron, Genius, EL/OS. There should be a Columbus decal indicating the tubeset, usually placed high on the seat tube under the top tube. If not, then what does it have for a fork? If the fork is steel, is it a TIG-welded unicrown or does it have sloped crown with lugged "caps"?

At any rate, $500 for a complete bike even if it is a lower-end tubing is still a good deal if it is in good shape.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Some pics of the bike:

View attachment 56474

View attachment 56475

View attachment 56476

View attachment 56477

It is Columbus tubing but the sticker is ripped halfway off. It says Columbus Special Rinforzati (sp?)SDS and the fork is Columbus Fodori Lamanati (sp?). The ulimate decision is by this bike as an upgrade to hold me over for a few years, or hold off, save some money and get a new/newer better bike.

I am going to take a close up picture of the fork right now...Will edit.

View attachment 56478

View attachment 56479

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a tough call- I am chosing between the Marinoni and also this bike just became available for purchase:

Litespeed Hyperion.
56 cm, carbon fiber, 3 years old, excellent condition, 9 speed ultegra components, spinergy wheels (like 14 spoke - something like that), hutchinson tires, speedplay roadie pedals

View attachment 56480

View attachment 56481

Any advice? How do they compare? What would you do?

Thanks

· here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
lousylegs said:
oh, dear, if paint agrees with me, then do the opposite:D
The look of some steel frames is growing on me. That Marinoni is simple and beautiful. The Litespeed is a pretty blue, but man... anybody can buy a Litespeed (theoretically).

· here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
lousylegs said:
that is it, come to the dark side.
2 steel frames on their way to my house by the end of summer, hopefully. I will always have a soft spot for my CAAD8, and my dream bike will always be Ti. But until I can shrink Terry's Moots, a couple of steel steeds might suffice. :p

· Registered
1,627 Posts
$500 sounds about right, but there are certainly cheaper lugged steel bikes out there with some name recognition.

I recently bought and sold a beautiful Marinoni frame from the early 1990s. Lugged Columbus Brain tubing. Bought for $300, sold for $320. Part of the money went toward a "new-old" commuter bike, an Osaka-built 1980 Panasonic DX2000. Mint condition lugged steel (Tange Cro-Mo) frame with Shimano Light Action components: $200 total.

Marinoni or Litespeed? Ride them both, and see if you can ride them more than just around the block. With different frame materials, wheels and components, they are bound to feel very different from one another. Don't get caught up in brand names. Buy what best fits your body, your riding style and your wallet.

I dig my Panasonic, but it rides, handles and responds like a brick compared to my two other steel bikes, a Zanconato and a Curtlo. They were made within the last two years and outfitted with newer components.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
team_sheepshead said:
$500 sounds about right, but there are certainly cheaper lugged steel bikes out there with some name recognition.

Marinoni or Litespeed? Ride them both, and see if you can ride them more than just around the block. With different frame materials, wheels and components, they are bound to feel very different from one another. Don't get caught up in brand names. Buy what best fits your body, your riding style and your wallet.

I dig my Panasonic, but it rides, handles and responds like a brick compared to my two other steel bikes, a Zanconato and a Curtlo. They were made within the last two years and outfitted with newer components.

Well the Litespeed is in Maine so I definately won't be able to try that bike out. The Marinoni is pretty amazing ride wise- especially compared to the Bianchi. The Bianchi is like driving a dump truck, and the Marinoni is like riding a stallion- AMAZING. :D

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Forget the Litespeed (although they sure are nice) and get the Marinoni. Every group ride across America is going to have at least one or two Litespeeds.

btw ~ those brake calipers on the Marinoni are Chorus "monoplaner brakes. I've seen them go for $250. on e-bay. (just thought you'd like to know)

· Registered
1,808 Posts
bluebird said:
Litespeed Hyperion.
56 cm, carbon fiber, 3 years old, excellent condition, 9 speed ultegra components, spinergy wheels (like 14 spoke - something like that), hutchinson tires, speedplay roadie pedals
3 year old Hyperion is carbon fibre only on seat stays and fork.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.