Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and ordered a custom Marinoni frameset a couple of weeks ago. I"ve drooled over them for years, but with kids, mortgage etc, never had the extra cash to buy one until now.

I originally thought I'd get a Sportivo, which is their Road-Sport frame, and as I'm getting older, and my flexibilty isn't as great as it once was, but then decided it was too close in geometry to my other steel bike, so I've opted for the Piuma, and will probably get a slight headtube extension to raise the bars a bit. The only question is: Piuma - all steel, or Piuma Express - carbon rear triangle?

I've read differeing opinions on carbon / steel frames here, but I've not ridden one. Any "objective" advise or opinions on either, preferably regarding the Piuma, but I know that may be too much to ask.

I know that a member of the Forums, Bertand, has posted about his Piuma. Are you out there Bertrand?

Thanks in advance.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Steel only, the CF rear adds only to the cost. I have about 5000 miles on a steel bike with a CF triangle and about 6000 on one with CF stays. The only noticeable difference is that these two tend to be a bit stiffer than the straight steel bikes I ride. So little difference in fact that I now bypass the opportunity to buy used frames in brands I am seeking if they have CF in the backside.

· TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
All steel. Carbon rear ends don't do anything, really, except (usually) add a bit of weight. Objective opinion? There's no reason I can think of not to get an all-steel frame. ...save maybe for the fact that the kids in China won't get paid to mold the rear-end Marinoni doesn't employ when you don't order one.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Bertrand's Piuma is all steel - chome plated rear triangle at that.

My Marinoni should have been shipped today - a Fango cyclocross for dirt roading. Of course there's no carbon triangle on it. So I can't be of any help with your carbon querie but for what it's worth, if I was buying a Marinoni road frame, it would be all steel.

My frame has taken quite a bit longer than expected (and hinted) but there's a chance it might be here this week.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Johnny LaRoux said:
I took the plunge and ordered a custom Marinoni frameset a couple of weeks ago. I"ve drooled over them for years, but with kids, mortgage etc, never had the extra cash to buy one until now.

I originally thought I'd get a Sportivo, which is their Road-Sport frame, and as I'm getting older, and my flexibilty isn't as great as it once was, but then decided it was too close in geometry to my other steel bike, so I've opted for the Piuma, and will probably get a slight headtube extension to raise the bars a bit. The only question is: Piuma - all steel, or Piuma Express - carbon rear triangle?

I've read differeing opinions on carbon / steel frames here, but I've not ridden one. Any "objective" advise or opinions on either, preferably regarding the Piuma, but I know that may be too much to ask.

I know that a member of the Forums, Bertand, has posted about his Piuma. Are you out there Bertrand?

Thanks in advance.
If you want a steel bike, get a steel bike. A CF fork is acceptable, IMHO.

If you want a CF bike, get a CF bike. Materials mix is marketing hype, IMHO.

I've lusted after Marinoni's since the early 90's myself. Nice choice... yes, IMHO. :)

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marinoni wait times

How long did it take before you finally got your Fango?

I've been told 10 weeks, 12 weeks...or there-abouts. I have a feeling that there is no real hard and fast time frame. All the same, it will be worth the wait.

What colors did you go with, if you don't mind my asking? The local dealer had a frame there that a customer ordered, with cool retro windows and bars on the downtube and seat tube, and the old style Marinoni lettering inside. I'm going with that, but haven't made a final decison on the colours yet.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
It'll be ten weeks today. Six weeks was hinted at. I emailed at six weeks and Luc says "I just welded it". Then I heard nothing. Ahemm.

Colors? The same exact layout of my track bike but red instead of blue with a black Ritchey WCS fork and 3/4 chrome on the rear triangle. Yep those are "retro" panels and "pull off" letters which reveal the paint underneath. That white is an off white and not a bright white.

· Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm..... I hope you keep us informed on how your bike rides. I was at Marinoni's last week (haven't been there in years) and spent some time talking with Luc about building me a frame. My mind was pretty much set on going full titanium, but now I'm starting to think all steel... I've never had a custom bike. I have only been biking for 17 years (I'm 50 now...) but I'd like to think that this would be THE frame that will last for a looooooooong time....

But, I enjoy climbing alot and I don't want anything to "hold me back" so weight (I know it's overrated to some point) is a consideration. I weigh 135 now but should be going down to less than 130 soon.

So, I'm having serious thoughts about steel right now... but it will be a Marinoni for sure.

Johnnydrz

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
johnnydrz said:
Hmmm..... I hope you keep us informed on how your bike rides. I was at Marinoni's last week (haven't been there in years) and spent some time talking with Luc about building me a frame. My mind was pretty much set on going full titanium, but now I'm starting to think all steel... I've never had a custom bike. I have only been biking for 17 years (I'm 50 now...) but I'd like to think that this would be THE frame that will last for a looooooooong time....

But, I enjoy climbing alot and I don't want anything to "hold me back" so weight (I know it's overrated to some point) is a consideration. I weigh 135 now but should be going down to less than 130 soon.

So, I'm having serious thoughts about steel right now... but it will be a Marinoni for sure.

Johnnydrz
I'll keep ya informed ok but I have the "how it rides" report planned already and it's "It rides fine". I might just throw in the old standby "vertically compliant and laterally stiff" to please those who need details. I might just add the hilarious "handles corners like a hooker" too. I'm a veteran of many custom frames (steel & Ti plus stock carbon) and they all ride fine.

So I can't help on the steel vs Ti as it's a personal choice. I'd prefer Ti but I just didn't want to spend Ti money this time. Steel is fine and it's a pity it's been overshadowed by other materials in the past few years.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I tried to get a Marinoni back in 1998. I wanted a Columbus Max frame with a Max fork. They were out of stock on the fork blades and offered a SL fork. I ended up with a Merckx MXL but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Marinoni.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.