Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Movie review: 'Marinoni: The Fire in the Frame' - VeloNews.com

I saw this movie at a local film fest over the weekend. It was different that what I was expecting but definitely worthwhile. Much more about his life and his hour-record attempt than his frame building. Lots of interesting insights into Canadian cycling about which I am pretty ignorant. I'm sure it will eventually make it to NetFlix. Keep an eye out for it.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
It was an interesting movie of the legend who is Giuseppe Marinoni. Not only was he a prolific framebuilder, he was a great cyclist and even held the age group record for the Mt Washington hill climb a few years ago. I've had 5 of his frames (I still have 4 of them, including a 40th anniversary retro model).

Ace Canadian champion Jocelyn Lovell, pictured in the film, died a few short weeks ago after being a quadriplegic for some decades after a dump truck ran over him while out on a training ride.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
need to see this one.. my dad told me about it this spring. I had a couple custom Marinoni 20 years ago

strangely ... on the list of viewings of the movie, half of them are taking place here on Vancouver island?? www.marinonimovie.com I guess the film maker is local to the island

and looks like one can rent the movie on Vimeo today too: www.marinonimovie.com

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I was up in Quebec last week, saw a few people riding Marinoni steel frames (really nice looking by the way), so got curious and started googling and learned quite a bit about him in just the last few days and also learned about that movie.
Definitely want to see that one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was up in Quebec last week, saw a few people riding Marinoni steel frames (really nice looking by the way), so got curious and started googling and learned quite a bit about him in just the last few days and also learned about that movie.
Definitely want to see that one.
where wee you riding in qc Jay?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just saw it on Vimeo. Beautiful movie. Thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would highly recommend this movie as well. I had the opportunity to watch this movie as well as meeting Giuseppe Marinoni here in Vancouver. It wasn't the movie I was expecting, but very enjoyable and emotional. If you like watching documentaries, this is a good one to put on the list.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jay - I am about 3 hours west of there - closer to the ontario border - how is the riding out that way?

I spent a few days covering ground between just East of Sherbrooke and Lac Megantic......then over to Magog where I stayed 5 days and did routes in all directions.

The Marinoni frame sightings were all just outside of Granby on Route Verte.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Keep my eye out for it, movies like this always turn out really inspiring in some way. Who doesn't need that on occasion.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jay - I am about 3 hours west of there - closer to the ontario border - how is the riding out that way?
I think it's amazing. But I bring my steel cross bike and use either 28mm road tires or 33mm if I plan a route with lots of gravel roads and trails. I think the attraction over, say, Vermont or NH, is the abundance of gravel and amazing trails. For pure road riding on asphalt (stiff race bike, 23mm tires ect) it's still good but shy of amazing compared to VT, NH, upstate NY ect. The highlight for me is going hour upon hour without seeing more than a handful of cars by staying on back gravel roads and trails. The climb up Mount Megantic (which is good pavement) is another highlight.

What about over by you? Next year I want to go to Canada for two weeks so I'm looking for another region to explore. I figure one week in the Eastern Townships region again and another week elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts