Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a hacksaw to cut to small slots in my Ti seatpost--all the way through so I can see them when it's covered with grease--to mark the seat height.:idea: :thumbsup: How long should the slots be?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blah! Blah! Blah! said:
Exactly 1/2 way on each side. Be careful not to cut more than 1/2. Accuracy is very important.
Is that 1/2 way in metric or English units? I don't want to go 1/2 way in one and end up too far in the other.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,387 Posts
I second the drill, because you can turn the whole thing into swiss cheese and save weight that way.

Seriously though, machinists dye is the best thing for marking seatposts, in case anyone actually cares.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
:rolleyes: You guys can't possible be serious about this. :rolleyes:

Any fool could tell you that a good quality pipe cutter is the way to go. That way, the cut would be perfectly even all the way around. Hell...you wouldn't even have to measure! :idea:

G

·
alienator said:
I'm using a hacksaw to cut to small slots in my Ti seatpost--all the way through so I can see them when it's covered with grease--to mark the seat height.:idea: :thumbsup: How long should the slots be?
I just duct tape the mark, but I suppose you're looking for something permanent. In that case, I'd agree with the poster who suggested drilling a small hole - that would ensure better rigidity compared to cutting a horizontal slot. A 1/16" drill bit would give you +/- 0.75mm accuracy or better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
"A metal chisel and mallet will also work. A few solid whacks around the entire perimeter ought to terminate, I mean do the trick."

Please ignore this very bad piece of advice. This was obviously offered by someone who has never done this before. If you use a chisel and mallet, striking the seat post will result in brinniling the bearings. It'll never feel right after this, and you'll end up replacing the whole mechanism.

I'll bet Kerry Irons will back me up on this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.