Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel that the book was over-rated?

Also, as an owner of a once alpha-female yellow lab, I thought Grogan made some pretty major mistakes with Marley:

1. Six cups of food a day? No wonder Marley was crazy, he was crazy with too much energy because he was over fed.

2. Yellows have a problem with ground yellow corn. If he was feeding Marley Purina Dog Chow... That coulda been a problem too.

3. No crate from the beginning? Dogs are cave dwellers. No wonder he developed a fear of storms.

I haven't seen the movie and I doubt I will even rent it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Thought the movie was overrated, but Jennifer Aniston made it bearable.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The book was good, not great. Worth reading. Haven't seen the movie. Will wait for DVD. I'm sure the Grogans made plenty of training mistakes and yes, the type of dog food can make a difference. Regular Purina is not a great dog food but corn shouldn't have any affect on the dogs psyche, it's more of an allergy thing. 6 cups a day might have been too much but Marley was a pretty big dog from what I remember in the book. Also depends a lot on the amount of exercise the dog gets. We fed our Lab (now departed) 2-3 cups a day at 70 pounds with moderate exercise. When she was younger it was probably more in the 3-4 range and during hunting season it was 4-5. More food makes them fat but not more hyper. Fear of loud noises and crating are not necessariy related. Crating can make dogs feel safer but a dog that's been traumatized by loud noises at an early age is not likely to be soothed enough by crating to overcome their fear. It takes a lot of training and dogs left alone at critical times (like storms) can be very destructive regardless. Sometimes nothing can be done and I think Marley, through mistakes and circumstance, was an extreme example. But, Marley has made Grogan a lot of money, so it may have been worth it.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
the movie was sweet, and not nearly as much about the dog as I expected and I had not read the book. Anyone who has loved and lost a dog will weep, I'd think, and anyone who has had their own mid-life "who am I and what do I want from life" moments will identify with the protagonist. I didn't think it was a wasted two hours by any stretch.

Don't know how the book pitches it but it was clear in the movie that Marley's owners didn't have a clue what they were doing, so...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'm a HUGE dog lover and while there was some extra "fluff" I thought the movie was entertaining. Over the years, I've had to take 2 of my Golden's for their "last ride to the vet" and honestly as a 35+ year old man, I cried like a little girl.

There weren't too many dry eyes in the theater by the end of the movie - even the really big "macho" guy across the isle from me took off his glasses to wipe his tears. Maybe a little overrated, but from a purely entertaining point of view, and the fact it started as a children s book, I would have to recommend it to any pet owner/lover.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The dog was a vehicle to speak about important lessons.

Len

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I think we'd all like to see an alternative ending where the dog becomes ultra-rabid and corners the guy from Tuesday's with Morey. All he has to defend himself is a hand sharpened hearing aid...talk about climax!

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Len J said:
The dog was a vehicle to speak about important lessons.

Len
Interesting... the only thing that i gathered from the book was that it's challenging to start a family, and their dog was a bit crazy. But once you make those commitments, they are commitments for life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts