Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun, how many people think there might be/must be/can't be life on other planets? Not in our solar system, where conditions don't seem to favor it, but among the billions of planets that must be circling the billions of stars. Can we possibly be the ONLY ones?
My vote: Life elsewhere is an absolute certainty. We may never find it, but it makes no sense from any viewpoint (other than dead-solid fundamentalist Christian) that all those other solar systems are just there to entertain us on a summer night.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Absotively...

Life on other planets. Yes.

I'll even stick my neck out so far as to pronounce God is an alien...yes, that's right.

Other life got smart, way before us; they hopped in their space rig and hunted down planets viable for higher life forms then 'spread their seeds'. You think the ark only happened here? We are made in Gods own image. We are all sons of God. God is an Alien!

What say ye to that, eh?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
There might be. But it is absolutely possible that we are the only ones.

Cory said:
We may never find it, but it makes no sense from any viewpoint (other than dead-solid fundamentalist Christian) that all those other solar systems are just there to entertain us on a summer night.
Did you frame that like a "dead-solid fundamentalist Christian" on purpose?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I believe in a God (Not necessarily a big guy with a white beard), do I belive that he or better it could have created other life, definitley I think it would be crazy to think that "WE" are the only living things out there with billions of planets.

However, I have thought about the Alien (god) thing. I've often thought of that. I mean Evolution doesn't cut it for me because nothing on this planet is close. If monkeys were cruising around in a Flintstone peddle car I'd say ok, they just haven't evolved enought to make an internal combustion engine. Why are we so more advanced? Becuase we came from Aliens. The reason know one can find the "missing link" it flew away in a space ship :D

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Ok Erich Von Daniken, we know you probably see them ...

flying around Reno at night, after a few brews. I suspect they may have snatched you up one night, which explains the long sleeved collared shirts and cowboy boots as riding attire ;)

I have always held out that there must be life somewhere else. The Universe is just too vast for us to be all alone in it. Though I am not really religious, as I get older I am more amazed at the majesty in the miracle of life and in nature. I guess I sometimes also believe, or maybe want to believe, there is something or someone that had something to do with it. As another poster in a thread here said, I am sure there is an evil force, so I sure as heck hope there is a good force too. Is that God?

Hey thanks for your vote. I knew I could depend on a vote from my bud :D

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
100% sure

The only problem is that even if there were 50 advanced races in our galaxy at this monent, the galaxy is so big, the chances of bumping into another race is rather small.
Forget all that Star Trek crap.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
True, but if they just had more funding for the Hubbel

The resolution could be amped up to read the licence plate numbers on those cars in the next galaxy.

I need more power Scotty!

Ay, but I canna doit Capn', This Klingon administration has cut our nuts off.

Bones, get down there and see about those nuts.

Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not a politician...

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
yes

Cory said:
Just for fun, how many people think there might be/must be/can't be life on other planets? Not in our solar system, where conditions don't seem to favor it, but among the billions of planets that must be circling the billions of stars. Can we possibly be the ONLY ones?
My vote: Life elsewhere is an absolute certainty. We may never find it, but it makes no sense from any viewpoint (other than dead-solid fundamentalist Christian) that all those other solar systems are just there to entertain us on a summer night.
Very, very likely there is life elsewhere. Maybe a couple of magnitudes less likely there is intelligent life. Even less likely we'll ever know; most likely means of knowing will be something like SETI, just a radio wave, no face to face or communication.

Believing there is life elsewhere without evidence is faith, isn't it?

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Believing there is life elsewhere without evidence is faith, isn't it?

Faith also might be reducing taxes, increasing spending...and believing it will all come out ok.

Belief of (intelligent) life other than here could be faith. Or the just the concept that probability should allow for life to develop on more than one planet out of beelyuns and beelyuns Out There.

A green 'weed' in a sliver of baked concrete is evidence enough (for me) that life is just too tenacious not to give it a go Anyplace it stands half a chance.

·
Banned
781 Posts
My God, a sensible post!

There's hope for Live Steam yet.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Battlestar Gallactica

Acenturian said:
Why are we so more advanced? Becuase we came from Aliens. The reason know one can find the "missing link" it flew away in a space ship :D
Didn't they send out an Adam and Eve colonizing mission?

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Thanks Ed, uh, I mean Menace. Which part did ...

you agree with? The part about RW being abducted or the beer drinking ;)

·
Banned
781 Posts
The way you mentioned an "evil force" in the world

but didn't name it "Clinton." A refreshing departure!

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Well ...

just as you did, I figured everyone would see that for themselves :D

RedMenace said:
but didn't name it "Clinton." A refreshing departure!

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
evidence?

rwbadley said:
Faith also might be reducing taxes, increasing spending...and believing it will all come out ok.

Belief of (intelligent) life other than here could be faith. Or the just the concept that probability should allow for life to develop on more than one planet out of beelyuns and beelyuns Out There.

A green 'weed' in a sliver of baked concrete is evidence enough (for me) that life is just too tenacious not to give it a go Anyplace it stands half a chance.
Fact is, though, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that life exists or ever existed elsewhere. The belief that life exists elsewhere is just as much faith-based as the belief in God.

The only argument that life exists elsewhere essentially goes "life exists here, and since there are billions of galaxies containing billions of stars, some of which must have planets, then odds are there must be life elsewhere." Right? It does make sense, but then there is no *evidence* of life, just speculation.

The belief in God, aside from having been told there is one, essentially goes "the universe and life itself are far too complex to have happened by chance, so there must be something or someone who created it all."

Isn't there a good deal of similarity in the beliefs?

·
Motorator
4,166 Posts
The big difference

DougSloan said:
Fact is, though, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that life exists or ever existed elsewhere. The belief that life exists elsewhere is just as much faith-based as the belief in God.

Isn't there a good deal of similarity in the beliefs?
The logic behind one belief is based upon mathematics, the other upon heresy (or is it spelled hearsay). One belief compels humanity to seek the truth through science, the other does not.

Once upon a time the earth was flat, and there were monsters lurking at the edges waiting to gobble up any ships that ventured out too far. Some people, however, figured otherwise, basing their logic upon bits and pieces of the era's scientific data pooled together.

Soon, the earth became round, and new faiths and beliefs replaced many old faiths and beliefs. Just as will continue to happen as long as there are people who continue to push the envelope..

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
however

Starliner said:
The logic behind one belief is based upon mathematics, the other upon heresy (or is it spelled hearsay). One belief compels humanity to seek the truth through science, the other does not.

Once upon a time the earth was flat, and there were monsters lurking at the edges waiting to gobble up any ships that ventured out too far. Some people, however, figured otherwise, basing their logic upon bits and pieces of the era's scientific data pooled together.

Soon, the earth became round, and new faiths and beliefs replaced many old faiths and beliefs. Just as will continue to happen as long as there are people who continue to push the envelope..
Yes, one theory compels seeking the truth through science. But, especially because of that, it would be completely wrong to actually *believe* there is life elsewhere without evidence of it, right? A scientist could speculate, theorize, or estimate, but he cannot *believe* it without evidence. To do so would definitely be solely a faith based belief.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Something to consider ...

scientists have continually found contradictions in their own science. They have had to revise their findings, etc., in order to find more pieces to the puzzle. Some say that God/god has given Man the ability to discover these miracles of nature, science and medicine. I believe I read somewhere that many in the science community are religious just for this reason.

However most religions have endured in their original manifestations, for millennia. This does say something to me about their strengths and the convictions of the people who follow them. There is nothing wrong believing in the power and the force of the Universe, no matter what God/god it manifests itself in one's life. If someone can draw strength from it for a good and Worldly purpose that benefits Man, there can be no wrong in it.

Yes, once upon a time the World was flat, and God/god gave someone the strength and fortitude to overcome their fears to discover otherwise!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The existence of planets capable of supporting life <i>is</i> evidence. One could argue that unless you believe that life on Earth was sparked by divine intervention, there is no reason not to believe that extra-terrestrial life exists somewhere.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
still not there, though

czardonic said:
The existence of planets capable of supporting life <i>is</i> evidence. One could argue that unless you believe that life on Earth was sparked by divine intervention, there is no reason not to believe that extra-terrestrial life exists somewhere.
As far as I know, no one has located planets capable of supporting life, at least life as we know it. We can infer a bit from availabilty of water and gases, with the right temperatures, but that's far from sufficient. We have barely identified, by inference, not direct observation, planets in other solar systems, much less identified their characteristics, other than potential mass and proximity to their suns.

Yes, there is no reason not to believe there is life elsewhere, other than the fact of having absolutely no evidence of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts