Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at another Masi frame the other day, Dedacci 16.5 OEM tubes CF rear triangle, beautiful tig welds. Dark gray, white lables. Made in Tiawan. So much for the Italian dream machine, still may have to buy an old skool Bianchi or Cinelli Supercorsa.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
Looked at another Masi frame the other day, Dedacci 16.5 OEM tubes CF rear triangle, beautiful tig welds. Dark gray, white lables. Made in Tiawan. So much for the Italian dream machine, still may have to buy an old skool Bianchi or Cinelli Supercorsa.
GVH cycles has a good deal on Cinellis with Centaur stuff. Doesn't get more Ayetalian than that.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tubeset I mentioned is steel

The shop has both alu and steel Masi, but it does have the CF in the rear triangle, so that probably gives it a thumbs down to a diehard fan. Still had the Masi signature on the top tube.

· Registered
777 Posts
While I'm sure they're nice bikes,

They ain't friggen Masis!!!!

Faliero Masi built Tullio Campagnolo's personal bike. Masi's American shop was a big part of putting American framebuilders in the first rank worldwide. Even leaving Mario Confente out, which would be a crime, Brian Baylis, Dave Tesch, and many others got their start at Masi's Carlsbad shop. The dude in "Breaking Away" rode a Masi Gran Criterium.

The fact that some consortium bought the name, and is now having frames pumped out in a contract job shop in Taiwan doesn't make them Masis. Call 'em something else. If you want a real Masi, they're being made in the old shop under the Vigorelli velodrome by Faliero's son. I think they're called "Milano" now.

--Shannon

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why stop there?

Can you say, Tiawanese Colnago? I don't get all choked up about what is and was a Masi/Colnago/take your pick who ever else has frames made in the Far East. They're bike frames, blind folded test, doubtful that anyone would feel the difference.

· off the back
15,599 Posts
tube_ee said:
The fact that some consortium bought the name, and is now having frames pumped out in a contract job shop in Taiwan doesn't make them Masis. Call 'em something else. If you want a real Masi, they're being made in the old shop under the Vigorelli velodrome by Faliero's son. I think they're called "Milano" now.

--Shannon
but you may be in a similar boat if you do that. a builder, although related, capitilizing on the brand name established by his father. the story I've heard for why Faliero Masi sold his company in the first place and moved it to California, was that he didn't believe his son Alberto was a sufficiently dedicated craftsman to continue on building the frames that bore his name.

· Registered
665 Posts
What's in a name?

I've been following the Masi guys blog for awhile. I have no doubt he is as passionate about bikes as anyone, and knowedgeable as well. Plus he rides and races both road and track. The new limited edition ones are special bikes built by craftsmen.
I for one wouldn't have any problem riding a Taiwanese "Masi".
As for Milano's. Check out this thread on the Serotta Forum:
http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17618&highlight=milano

· Registered
1,149 Posts
I liked the bike overall but was really disappointed in the "plumbing" like lugs, just plain butt ends. I found them ugly compared to traditional style ligs like Richard Sachs and many others use. Still, Masi has a strong branding association for those that grew up in the 70's.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
One of these days I will get a "MASI" either an old Italian one or a modern taiwanese model.

Why? Well my lasy name is Masi! :D

I have been told my whole life, "hey do you know there is a bike with your name on it." As a kid, my friends Dad's and others would get me a cap or shirt with MASI on it.

No relationship that I know of :(.

There is also a MASI wine.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny name recognition story

I think it was the first year I went to Ride for the Roses, this guy shows up with a beat up bike and a camera and some small recording gear. He was a freelance writer/reporter from NY, there to cover the event. His name? Lance Armstrong Jr. Had the DL and everything.

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Alberto Masi

BTW, I asked a very knowledgeable friend about the story you heard about Alberto and his reply was:

"Quite the contrary.

Alberto was Masi's son, and numero uno apprentice and framebuilder before FM sold to California - purely for money. Alberto was only one of three builders in the shop at the time of the departure, and continued to not only build under the Masi name, but when Faliero returned to Italy after the venture, worked back at the Vigorelli with Alberto and partnered on many new projects - including the Presitge, GC, and 3V projects.

To this day, Alberto claims his father's teachings as his one and only muse in the profession. There was probably no better relationship in the framebuilding world than the FM/AM father/son Masi's."

rufus said:
but you may be in a similar boat if you do that. a builder, although related, capitilizing on the brand name established by his father. the story I've heard for why Faliero Masi sold his company in the first place and moved it to California, was that he didn't believe his son Alberto was a sufficiently dedicated craftsman to continue on building the frames that bore his name.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.