Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked one up for around town and my big one mile commute and put some miles on it this weekend. Swapped the stock pedals for some old Specialized touring pedals with toe clips and removed the fenders until the rain starts. Not crazy about the coaster brake, but really like the lack of freewheel noise as I've gotten used to this riding fixed. The coaster brake alone didn't feel like enough to me as this bike can go fairly fast, so I added a front brake. Love the Nexus 8 hub, it shifts perfectly and the range is fine for a commuter/cruiser. Also ordered a fork tube extender to get the bars a little higher. The seat is a copy of a Brooks and is hard as iron and mighty squeaky, am hoping it breaks in like a Brooks. Anyway, overall am very happy with the bike overall, feels like an advanced version of the bikes I rode as a kid...

edit- The Masi seat, while good looking, is in fact a total POS...installed a Brooks B17, huge improvement. Cut down a black fork extender (FWIW a Velox bar plug worked in the top after cutting) and it got the bars to a better height without looking too horrible..... Total weight as modified is 29 lbs. even

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beautiful Bike

I road a Soulville last weekend and liked it. I have a steel Serotta that I ride the roads on and looking for a fun bike like this to hit the coffee shops and just plain have some fun when I am not hammering away on the Serotta. That saddle really is hard and not sure if it will break in as even the guys as the LBS recommended I probably trade it out for a Brooks leather. Can you give me an idea what you paid for your Soulville? I really like the look without the fenders as well. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ShortNFast said:
I road a Soulville last weekend and liked it. I have a steel Serotta that I ride the roads on and looking for a fun bike like this to hit the coffee shops and just plain have some fun when I am not hammering away on the Serotta. That saddle really is hard and not sure if it will break in as even the guys as the LBS recommended I probably trade it out for a Brooks leather. Can you give me an idea what you paid for your Soulville? I really like the look without the fenders as well. Thanks...
It was $780 at a LBS, and I think you are right about the seat, probably a lost cause.
FWIW the brake caliper I used is for a BMX bike, road calipers don't have enough reach...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The bike, even though visually beautiful, is not moving in the shops like I think the LBS would like to. I think that is why they are giving me a price of $600 on it plus I do spend quite a bit of money there on bikes, equipment etc. The LBS wishes it had a different more comfortable seat and had hand brakes. I also think it is definitely a speciality bike and you have many people looking at the price and going I could get a pretty decent mountain, road bike, hybrid bike for about the same price. Still think I am going to buy it though as I am past all the issues and just want a bike to make me feel like a kid again and I think it fits the bill....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I saw one last week at an LBS.....This shop stocked the entire range of Masi bikes....Masi is making some of the coolest bikes so today...........
The Masi Speciale Fixed, while somewhat pricey ($699 for the regular, $850 for the "limited edition"), have been flying out of our shop. And from the quality of those we've special ordered in a Speciale CX and a Speciale Commuter for customers. Both beautiful bikes.

And yesterday a guy came in and wants to order a Soulville.

Yep. Some very cool bikes.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Henry Chinaski said:
Cool bike. I picked one up in a shop recently and that rear hub weighs a TON. If they made a cheap single speed version I'd probably buy it. It's a great looking frame and bike.
They do, or will soon...it is in the catalog I got from the LBS, along w/ a 3 speed version...though the shop where I got mine only had 8 speed models in stock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.