Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t in the market for a fixie, but there is a deal on a lightly used Masi. Looking at the specs on the bike, it comes is front brake only, but has front and back brake levers. What’s up with that? Does the back brake lever function? Does it flop around if your only running one brake? It looks like there is cable guides. Can the back brake be added for SS?

·
Registered
521 Posts
They do that to cut costs on an already overpriced bike. MASI wants to charge over $700 for a bike with Truvativ cranks and a wheelset you can get online for $75 as if they were premium parts. As far as the brakes go since the bike is specd as a fixed gear they only come with the front brake caliper but give you the full set of levers so you can add a rear if you want to flip the wheel to the freewheel and use it as a SS. I rode mine with both levers on and only the front brake, never ran it as SS and the lever doesn't flop around or make noise of any kind.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
immerle said:
I wasn’t in the market for a fixie, but there is a deal on a lightly used Masi. Looking at the specs on the bike, it comes is front brake only, but has front and back brake levers. What’s up with that? Does the back brake lever function? Does it flop around if your only running one brake? It looks like there is cable guides. Can the back brake be added for SS?
modern levers generally have a return spring so they don't rattle even if they are not connected...FWIW just added a rear brake to my fixie after 5 years of front only and I like it a LOT....the bike is much more controllable on bumpy descents, used to be the back wheel would get too light.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
The "rear" brake lever is just an option. Fixed gear bikes with just a front caliper sometimes have two levers... the "rear" lever being for a handhold, visual symmetry, whatever. A rear brake can be added easily if the rear bridge is drilled for mounting a brake. If the bridge is not drilled, adding a rear brake becomes much harder. It requires that the bridge be drilled... which different people will tell you is a fine thing to do or a terrible thing to do, or something in between. I believe I've seen "strap-on" cable guides that could be used if there aren't cable guides built onto the frame.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
rear brake cable, no guides

That's my question. My fixie has a driller rear bridge but no cable guides. Currently I'm only running a front brake but I'd like to add a rear brake. What do others do to run the rear cable? I thought of ties or even electrical tape to hold the rear brake cable but I want the bike to look good.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
onlineflyer said:
That's my question. My fixie has a driller rear bridge but no cable guides. Currently I'm only running a front brake but I'd like to add a rear brake. What do others do to run the rear cable? I thought of ties or even electrical tape to hold the rear brake cable but I want the bike to look good.
you need to find some old school stainless cable clamps, hard to find at a LBS, had to go to the local bike co-op to find mine...and they are 1 1/8", harder still, most old ones are 1"
Anyway, can do a very clean installation with them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts