1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
The Masi looks cool and might be a great choice if you will never be carrying a lot of stuff. The gearing range is too limited for truly loaded touring.

The Aurora is a solid bike and is designed first and foremost for touring. It has the gear range and design to handle large loads but is relatively sporty handling for a touring bike. I regret selling mine.

Hope that helps.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
J,

As for stuff, your combined weight isn't that much. The gearing depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing. I just got back from several days of touring around the coast on my steel bike which has a compact crank. I was riding light, but figure I weigh 180lbs plus about 15lbs of stuff. The compact crank is fine on the easier hills, but on sustained climbs of about 10% grade or harder you'll be wishing you had that triple crank and the large rear cassette (28-32 tooth). Makes it much easier to get up the hills at a nice leisurely pace. I think if I had 30lbs on my bike I wouldn't want to tackle too many large hills without that triple.

That's the only real difference that I see between the two bikes otherwise. They are both good choices.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
Are you able to ride them at all? That might help you decide.

My road bike is a few year old Jamis Ventura, which appears to be the same frame as the Aurora uses. Same geometry, same Reynolds 520, only differences are brake mountings. And I love mine.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Make your choice based on which one has a geometry that fits you better. Trust me on this. If they both fit the same, get the one that looks better to you. The gearing can be changed or adjusted, and your LBS might do it for minimal extra cost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I say like others get the bike that fits. Also find a dealer who will talk to you about fit, not how one bike is better than the other and they just want a sale. Fit is the key, your body will thank you. Also not to be preachy but if you have to drive 50 miles for better service its worth it. I did it for my recent cannondale purchase. There was a dealer 5 miles from my house. But everytime I went in their all they care about is their sale stats and profit. I believe on the net bicycletimes mag had a review of the masi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.