Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With such a massive scandal involving most of the current cycling heros, I'd say this sport may become a hot potato for sponsorship in Europe, and even more so in the USA.

If a yank doesn't win, the US market may evaporate, along with Disco sponsorship and our beloved OLN coverage.

What's worse, would be if the remaining riders stage a strike during or even extinguishing the Tour in protest of 'harrassment,' in an attempt to undermine the cleansing of the sport. This would tarnish the sport yet more, as the Baseball and NHL strikes did for those sports.

This is far more serious than even the Black Sox scandal or the Bay Area Steroid ring, because it comes on the heals of 20 years of multiple drug scandals and chronic innuendo. It truly manifests our worst latent fears.

Given this dagger thrust after a thousand cuts, will the sport devolve from a major international pro scene to a marginal, underfunded fringe sport like lacrosse or badminton? :rolleyes:

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Shockee said:
With such a massive scandal involving most of the current cycling heros, I'd say this sport may become a hot potato for sponsorship in Europe, and even more so in the USA.

If a yank doesn't win, the US market may evaporate, along with Disco sponsorship and our beloved OLN coverage.

What's worse, would be if the remaining riders stage a strike during or even extinguishing the Tour in protest of 'harrassment,' in an attempt to undermine the cleansing of the sport. This would tarnish the sport yet more, as the Baseball and NHL strikes did for those sports.

This is far more serious than even the Black Sox scandal or the Bay Area Steroid ring, because it comes on the heals of 20 years of multiple drug scandals and chronic innuendo. It truly manifests our worst latent fears.

Given this dagger thrust after a thousand cuts, will the sport devolve from a major international pro scene to a marginal, underfunded fringe sport like lacrosse or badminton? :rolleyes:

The short answer: No

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
???/

Shockee said:

WTF are you talking about. Disco has a contract for another 2-3 years and lots of other ProTour teams contracts are multiyear also. If the teams react quickly like they did today the sponsors will be ok. Most of the ProTour sponsors will survive this and there will be new ones who want in on the action with each new vacancy. Look how quick Astana jumped in. There is alot of new money out there waiting to be spent.

·
Registered
169 Posts
not so fast

As quick as Astana jumped in (Vino's buddies). is as quick as Liberty Seguros jumped out. The smartest thing for all involved is to do thier best to put on a great Tour. Any rider protests or demonstrations is just going to futher stain cylcling and put them at the top of the pile of drug abusers in sports. However, I think the best way for this sport to get cleaned up is for sponsors to threaten riders and organizers that they are out of here if this continues. Very few sports rely as much on sponsors for its existence as cycling does. These large corporations can attach thier name to a variety of sports, such as auto racing and soccer and not have to put up with this drug BS.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
NFW. Look at how big road cycling has become in the U.S. Just this web site alone with all the sponsors -- there's a lot of buying power among us and tons of new riders joining the sport every day, we see it on the road (particularly the last two years) and at the LBS when we have to wait more than usual to get service. At least in the USA, if Disco ever pulled the ripcord -- for whatever reason -- finding a solid sponsor would not be an issue.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The only way sponsors bail is if they aren't getting a return on their investment. So far, the only sponsor who bailed was Liberty Seguros, and that's because the whole team seemed to be involved, so everyone kept throwing their name around as shorthand for the doping affair. They rightfully got out, because it wasn't worth it to stay.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
EasyRider47 said:
To any and all of you who feel that sponsorship dollars will continue to flow into cycling or increase after this stain on all of cycling, you are all seriously mistaken! Financing/marketing is my expertise for over 30 years at the highest levels - and some on the periphery of cycling - because I liked cycling. However, I can assure you that any major sponsor is already checking out their escape clauses (and I am positive there are escape clauses in every single sponsorship agreement) in their funding commitments for a number of conditions. Funding commitments are not a series of blank cheques and the sponsors always have conditions negotiated into the contracts to protect themselves for future eventualities like this one - they would be idiots to do otherwise and their legal advisors would never allow them to do so. Having dealt with trying to attract major sponsors about three years ago - the questions of cyling's negative image with respect to doping was already simmering beneath the surface, and the entire cycling world is going to suffer the shame of this debacle! If I had a multi-million dollar promotion budget under my control in North America (or even worse - Europe, where cycling is even higher profile), I would be insane (or immediately terminated from my position) if I committed ANY future dollars to sponsor professional cycling! Furthermore, if I did have sponsorship commitments in place, I can guarantee that the CEO and board of directors would be on my back after today's events, to see what courses of action were available to terminate such funding commitments immediately.

For the record - I am a long-time professional cycling fan/cycling enthusiast - and even the most optimistic party such as myself finally has to clear my views of the professional peloton and see them for what they are............

Not taking this easy,
EasyRider47

Sponsorship dollars will certainly not increase during the short term and in fact I've predicted a sort of recession in the sport that will last a few years. Many will pull out but ultimately others will step in and eventually this to shall pass. Also with all of these high calibre names with their big contracts going away the budgetary needs of some teams may shrink to some degree next year. Eventually an equilibrium will be restablished. ...until the next big scandal in about 7 or 8 years.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
It was Festina and TVM. Most of the Spanish teams pulled out in 1998, and only 14 teams finished the race. The publicity was very negative, and yet sponsors still supported cycling. Amazingly, even Festina stayed for a few more years.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm sure there will be some deal seekers who step in to get discount rate sponsorships.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cycling sponsorship is still relatively cheap...

In this case the old addage "any publicity is good publicity" dosen't hold true. T-Mobile, Wurth, and CSC must now be critically rethinking their sponsorships. This scandal goes to the foundations of the sport, and is WAY bigger than '98 Festina affair.

The saving grace for cycling is that even at 6-10 million/year, it's still cheap compared to F-1, NASCAR, soccer, etc..

As a fan of cycling, I'm worried. The fallout of this is only going to hurt the US domestic scene...Last time I checked, cycling sponsorship is still pretty hard to secure here in the States.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
It is happening.. 4 are now out.

Shockee said:

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I wonder why someone like Nike doesn't sponser a pro team. They make cycling accessories now, and have got to have one of the biggest advertsing budgets around.

Other companies (US Centric of course. I don't know anything else :D)

The following three have worldwide presence, and huge budgets. How much do they spend on a single 30 second commercial during the super bowl? 2.5 million? You'd think 6-10 mil for a year would be feasible for them.
Coke
Pepsi
Anheiser Busch

How about tech companies? The big boys are awash in cash, and again have worldwide presence.
Microsoft
IBM
Google

Need to get Bill Gates into cycling :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I wonder why someone like Nike doesn't sponser a pro team.
I believe Nike is an official Disco sponsor. They probably would not be a primary sponsor because it might discourage other teams--or fans of other teams--from using their products.

Securing a sponsorship for a U.S. team would not be a problem in the post-Lance era. I would not be surprised, in fact, if a second U.S.-based team began participating in more European races in the future. Toyota-U maybe?

Would Phonak be considered a U.S.-based team next year after the primary sponsor is replaced by that tech firm in California? If that company, by the way, can afford to sponsor a Euro professional cycling team, you don't have to look to companies like Coke or Microsoft.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.