Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mass Transit strike experience?

Regional Transportation District (RTD) in Denver may face a strike on Monday. Though I bike to work and bus home it would not affect me since I start riding home during day light saving time. What a perfect timing? Five years of riding to Denver from Boulder has been quiet and safe but with this major event approaching (if it happens) should I be concern? I don’t ride on the highway but 1/5 of the route involves riding on the frontage. Typically the frontage has very low traffic. I understand that highways and parking will be flooded. I also understand that back roads will be affected but how much it will affect it is main question? MB1 has this ever happen in DC? Should I whip out my banana suit and gas mask?

At this time of the year, I usually see cyclists coming out of the hibernation so I’m sure I’ll be seeing the regulars on Monday. It'll be nice to see you guy/gals again.:cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Noël said:
Regional Transportation District (RTD) in Denver may face a strike on Monday. Though I bike to work and bus home it would not affect me since I start riding home during day light saving time. What a perfect timing? Five years of riding to Denver from Boulder has been quiet and safe but with this major event approaching (if it happens) should I be concern? I don’t ride on the highway but 1/5 of the route involves riding on the frontage. Typically the frontage has very low traffic. I understand that highways and parking will be flooded. I also understand that back roads will be affected but how much it will affect it is main question? MB1 has this ever happen in DC? Should I whip out my banana suit and gas mask?

At this time of the year, I usually see cyclists coming out of the hibernation so I’m sure I’ll be seeing the regulars on Monday. It'll be nice to see you guy/gals again.:cool:
I’ve read some of your posts and I too ride your route. You got me concerned about the RTD strikes now that you mentioned it. Have you ridden out on 104th eastward on the left side? There’s a bike lane there that can lead you into the neighborhood of Pecos Street. See map below. I don’t know if this is any better but it may be valid option in case the strike affect goes crazy. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
transit stirkes are a regular feature of life in London - on strike days traffic is even worse, lots of people walk serious distance to get to work and every rusty old bike comes out of the garden shed - it's really amateur hour with the unskilled cyclists trying to negotiate terrible traffic like they are in the Tour de France - on a rusty, cheap supermarket double shock 50 pound mountain bike...

my advice - go slow, be cautious - enjoy passing the drivers stuck in traffic, watch for pedestrians

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WAZCO said:
I’ve read some of your posts and I too ride your route. You got me concerned about the RTD strikes now that you mentioned it. Have you ridden out on 104th eastward on the left side? There’s a bike lane there that can lead you into the neighborhood of Pecos Street. See map below. I don’t know if this is any better but it may be valid option in case the strike affect goes crazy. Good luck!
I've done that route but it may not be any better. I think all back roads will be busy. Keep on riding!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M.J. said:
transit stirkes are a regular feature of life in London - on strike days traffic is even worse, lots of people walk serious distance to get to work and every rusty old bike comes out of the garden shed - it's really amateur hour with the unskilled cyclists trying to negotiate terrible traffic like they are in the Tour de France - on a rusty, cheap supermarket double shock 50 pound mountain bike...

my advice - go slow, be cautious - enjoy passing the drivers stuck in traffic, watch for pedestrians
Not just London but pretty much of all Europe correct?

Bike to Word Day may be something I can compare to when and if the strikes does happens. Once on the bike path, it's crowded w/ no traffic control. I pretty much just cruise for the sake of safeness. Thanks for your feedback.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
From yesterday's Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3653220

I don't think they will strike, they can't afford to. What is their option? Wal-Mart for half wages?

I don't where in Denver you work, but I ride in the Platte Trail to about 58th, around 7 am. I have yet to see another bike on the trail, so as far as conjestion, I wouldn't worry about it, probably closer to downtown though

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
From yesterday's Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3653220

I don't think they will strike, they can't afford to. What is their option? Wal-Mart for half wages?

I don't where in Denver you work, but I ride in the Platte Trail to about 58th, around 7 am. I have yet to see another bike on the trail, so as far as conjestion, I wouldn't worry about it, probably closer to downtown though
I hope they don't go on strike but I've spoken to some of the drivers and they say they're going vote for a strikes. It's hard to tell what going to happen when they vote on Sunday.

I work in near the Lodo area. By the time I hit 58th and Platte it's about 7:30am. Which is by the way under construction. I'm detoured to 58th then south on Franklin st then back on Platte trail at the Army National Gaurd Armory. It appears, as of this morning, that they opened the road and bridge. Is the trail open again? I usually see about 1-5 riders at this time.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
The sign just north of the York St underpass say the trail is closed until 04 2008 for trail reconstruction. I get off the trail at York street and battle the cars and trucks up into the industrial area. Work is on York, north of I-70.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
The sign just north of the York St underpass say the trail is closed until 04 2008 for trail reconstruction. I get off the trail at York street and battle the cars and trucks up into the industrial area. Work is on York, north of I-70.
2 years to reconstruct? Better be good. Do you have any idea what they're doing? The detour is fine, only two stop lights but zero is better.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
You got me thinking, so I wasted an hour of time trying to find out, nothing, oh well, it is company time. Ther is really no good web site for whoever is maintaining the trail, same for most of the trails, just a city page saying it exists.

·
Registered
34 Posts
NYC strike

I rode to work during New York's MTA strike. The good thing is the increased number of cyclists forces motorists to pay attention. Plus they're not going to moving that fast anyway. At one point I was riding 10 deep in a group to the Brooklyn Bridge with all randomn commuters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jack1576 said:
I rode to work during New York's MTA strike. The good thing is the increased number of cyclists forces motorists to pay attention. Plus they're not going to moving that fast anyway. At one point I was riding 10 deep in a group to the Brooklyn Bridge with all randomn commuters.
I bet that strike was a mess? Wasn't that during Thanksgiving or x-mas? 7 million commuters in NY vs 1/4 million commuters in Denver is quite a difference. If the strike happens, I don't believe it will have a major impact for cyclists but I do believe it will affect all motor vehicle. Driving the back roads near highway 36 will have no major bennifit for cars due to the complexity route. I believe the RTD will be in full operation on Monday.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RTD strike Denver metro area

Noël said:

At this time of the year, I usually see cyclists coming out of the hibernation so I’m sure I’ll be seeing the regulars on Monday. It'll be nice to see you guy/gals again.:cool:[/QUOTE

Backroads and frontage were not affected. I rode by one bus stop w/ a guy waiting for services. I informed him of the strike and apparently he didn't know about it. I road on. Traffic appeared like any other work day. There were few more cyclists than normal but it wasn't like Bike to Work day. Maybe tomorrow it'll be worst now that some people are feeling the affect of the strike. I'll report again.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
I saw no difference, except the freeways were pretty jambed up as I pased under them. Oh well, lots of room on the trails. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
I saw no difference, except the freeways were pretty jambed up as I pased under them. Oh well, lots of room on the trails. :)
Parking across the street from my office normally $6.50 now $25.00 per day, that is wrong, and that's on the edge of Lodo. I hate to see what it cost in the heart of DT. I'm just glad to be biking and not dealing w/ any of these stresses. A lot of people were caught off gaurd w/ the strike so It may be a different story tomorrow.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Noël said:
Parking across the street from my office normally $6.50 now $25.00 per day, that is wrong, and that's on the edge of Lodo. I hate to see what it cost in the heart of DT. I'm just glad to be biking and not dealing w/ any of these stresses. A lot of people were caught off gaurd w/ the strike so It may be a different story tomorrow.
Big price spike probably has more to do with Opening Day than lack of light rail. 50,000 people and no downtown people movers. At least the bus drivers Union picked a good day (from their perspective) to start a strike. Parking will probably be back to normal tomorrow.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Traffic heavier for day 2 of the strike? How much for parking today?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Sledgehammer03 said:
dunno...I told my boss I was working from home till RTD went back on duty. For local stuff I just ride my bike. Riding nearly 50 miles one way to work is crazy when I can do 99% of it all from home anyway.

// added bonus. I got in a 2 hour ride today and have actually been riding regularly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
I did notice all the highways and turnpike were slower than normal. Between boulder and Westminster I saw about 5 cyclists I've never seen before. Then I saw couple cyclists on the path and another w/ flat tire. All were new faces to me. Bike traffic was noticeable more than the usual. Once I got into town, parades of bikers came from all different directions.

Funny, parking is back to regular price at my office at 90% full. Yesterday was almost four times, $6.50 to $25. From the news last night, the combination of 3 events double and tripled the parking fee and all lots were at full capacity. You figure the price would be up a little since the strike is still in effect.

You have any prediction on how long the strike will last?

I tried looking in CDOT web site on reconstruction of bike path but failed to find anything.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts