Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Are you really sure you want to go the funny bike route?

Anyways, I would go Mavic or Velocity for rims depending on your budget.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 26", but I think you might have more choices with another "26-inch" size. 650C is a tiny bit larger than the MTB 26 standard, and Mavic and others make several of their rims in that size, since it's commonly used on small road bikes.

·
9,790 Posts
Didn't funny bikes have 650c rims rather than 26"?

·
9,790 Posts
Yeah! That's what I'm going for! That's 700c in the back? What's it like to ride?
On a frame that isn't designed for it? Like crap. ie: a chopper.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Now that everyone has forewarned you... if you still take the plunge I suggest you go the 650c route instead of 26" for one good reason.

Tire selection. Even slicks on 26" in narrow widths (which are still wide by road standards) such as 1.25" are very hard to find and probably won't fit a regular road fork (unless you have a cyclocross fork or rigid mtb fork).

650c (though much less popular now in tri) has more slick tire selection that would complement your rear tire. There is also a high end market for 650c forks (Search Ebay for EC90 650c Aero Fork) that is quite affordable.

Finding a narrow enough width on a 26" to match a 700c rear is probably nearly impossible in this day and age. Even finding some 650c tires is getting hard, but they're still around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.