Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone by chance know the width of this rim? (700) 19 or 20 mm? Unfortunately the rims are not accessible to measure. Any help is appreciated.

Tks Frank

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rim width

Sorry for not being more specific. I'm looking at the OD, so that I can match the same brake setup on my current rims.

Tks

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Makes no difference

PaleAleYum said:
Sorry for not being more specific. I'm looking at the OD, so that I can match the same brake setup on my current rims.
Given your goal of matching brake setup, you don't have to worry about 1mm. You have way more travel than that in the levers - it's only a half mm per side on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Brake lever travel

Kerry Irons said:
Given your goal of matching brake setup, you don't have to worry about 1mm. You have way more travel than that in the levers - it's only a half mm per side on the brakes.
It is true that brake calipers & levers have more travel than this - but it can have an affect on the feel and function at the brake levers. Typical brake levers have about 4:1 leverage ratio. Single pivot calipers have about a 1:1 leverage and dual pivot calipers have about a 1.6:1 leverage. So if you change the total pad travel to the rim by 1mm, then the distance the lever must travel will change by 4 mm - 6.4 mm. If the rim width changes by 2mm, the lever travel will change by 8 mm - 12.8 mm. Some may not like the change in lever travel when changing wheels.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A big thanks

Thanks to all for your input. This is for my first set of backup wheels on my cx bike. 19 mm is what I was hoping for.

Some good points made. Certainly the closer the better, but a valid point that .5mm on each side may not make too much difference, especially with cantilevers.

Tks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts