Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing result at the Danish tour! IIRC he was a cat 2 last year which makes the result more amazing for some reason. I simply can not fathom the dedication and time these guys devote to the sport. There is no way I could ever do what these guys do.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
6hrs on Saturday, 6hrs Sunday, 4hrs hard Monday, 4hrs hard Tuesday, etc, just after working a full shift doing home construction.

He also used to pass his house 4-5hrs into a 6hr ride, just for mental toughness.

not even joking.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Very stoked to see MB to reach the podium in a Euro race!!

MB perhaps lucked out a little by RS needing a (relatively) young domestic rider to round out the USA-sponsored team. It's also a victory for scientific methods because I remember Johann Bruyneel saying that MB "tested well" when they brought him in for the lab-rat testing rituals (watts, VO2 max, blah blah). That 7th place finish at the Tour of Utah by an unknown didn't hurt either.

Would be neat to see MB get a TdF start in a few years when the veteran-heavy RS team turns over.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
...He also used to pass his house 4-5hrs into a 6hr ride, just for mental toughness.
not even joking.
great story... another example of how physical gifts alone are not enough.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
While on our way to Solvang to catch the TT, my buddy and I stopped at an overlook on Hwy 154 and there was a nice older couple there, telling us they were going to watch their son-in-law in the race. Turned out to be Busche's wife's parents.

They told us to call him by his family nickname, Flip. :)

How cool would it be to have a pro racer as a son-in-law? Unfortunately, the father-in-law doesn't even own a bike. Sheesh.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
@gh1 he's not doping. I have no doubt that most (if not all) of the RadioShack TdF team is doping, but even then, most of the RS isn't doping. You'd have to be let into a very elite part of the team for them to help you with that.

Oh yeah, he's shown how genetically gifted he is for his whole life. He was an All-American runner in college. When he started taking the bike seriously, I got to see him shine in one of his best races as an amateur. He broke away from the P/1/2 field with Cheyne Hoag & Andrew Bajadali (Kelly Benefit Strategies), Frank Pipp (Bissell), and Guy East (Trek-Livestrong) at the Blue Mounds RR. In the final 8min climb, he put over 2min into them after attacking at the bottom. It was sick. Soon after that, he guest rode for KBS at RR nationals and made it into the 6 man break, getting 5th while burying himself for his teammate (who placed 2nd to Hincapie). Everyone there knew he was stronger than his 2nd place teammate, too. That's when Bruneel called him.

·
Registered
755 Posts
@gh1 he's not doping. I have no doubt that most (if not all) of the RadioShack TdF team is doping, but even then, most of the RS isn't doping. You'd have to be let into a very elite part of the team for them to help you with that.

Oh yeah, he's shown how genetically gifted he is for his whole life. He was an All-American runner in college. When he started taking the bike seriously, I got to see him shine in one of his best races as an amateur. He broke away from the P/1/2 field with Cheyne Hoag & Andrew Bajadali (Kelly Benefit Strategies), Frank Pipp (Bissell), and Guy East (Trek-Livestrong) at the Blue Mounds RR. In the final 8min climb, he put over 2min into them after attacking at the bottom. It was sick. Soon after that, he guest rode for KBS at RR nationals and made it into the 6 man break, getting 5th while burying himself for his teammate (who placed 2nd to Hincapie). Everyone there knew he was stronger than his 2nd place teammate, too. That's when Bruneel called him.
I hope you are right and sorry for the negative comment.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
guys a talent

loved how he killed himself until they caught the last rider, took one more massive dig and almost came to a complete stop. That has to hurt, but dang I love seeing a Dom turn themselves inside out like that

bravo

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Amazing result at the Danish tour! IIRC he was a cat 2 last year which makes the result more amazing for some reason. I simply can not fathom the dedication and time these guys devote to the sport. There is no way I could ever do what these guys do.
I can't find the Danish Tour results. Do you have a link?
Thkx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts