Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rest is something most of us are lacking. Sleep, when possible, is something I like to make the most of. More restful, the better.

My question to this group is "What is the best mattress (brand, type)?" I'm moving and currently don't have a mattress right now (been using a borrowed bed). While cost is a concern, quality of my rest is worthy of a solid investment. What mattress will help get the best sleep?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
let me tell you what changed my life....it was not the mattress. It was my pillow that made sleep 50% better. I have a normal pillow-top mattress that is not too hard or soft.
My pillow was about $50 and it's a synthetic foam (not the ones that shape to your head). It is a pillow shape but bouncy when you press on it....man I love it.

·
Eager Learner
233 Posts
You know, I was having terrible neck problems sleeping. My mom must have heard me talk about it and gave me a 'water pillow'. Think water bed technology meets pillow. You fill it up as full as you want, and then above the bladder is a typical pillow setup. It feels different, and you can't flip and hug it like a normal one. But boom! my neck pain disappeared.

My wife hates it b/c it weighs an awful lot sitting on the ground after she has put new sheets on the bed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Ditto on this- I took the 15% off Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon and splurged on the contoured memory foam pillow. I take it everywhere with me since most race hotel pillows are pretty horrible.
Synthetic foam pillows...no thanks! I don't care for outgassing VOCs under my head. No, for my money the ultimate pillow is a buckwheat hull pillow. Takes a night or two to get used to it, but then wow, so comfortable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at tempurpedics -- the cost just about put me on the floor! I don't doubt they are great, but are currently waaay out of my price range. :(

Will have to look at the hull pillow. I tend to pass out face first, so I need to be able to breath. :)

·
The Cube
1,201 Posts
DesnaePhoto said:
Rest is something most of us are lacking. Sleep, when possible, is something I like to make the most of. More restful, the better.

My question to this group is "What is the best mattress (brand, type)?" What mattress will help get the best sleep?

Thanks
As a Chiropractor, this is what I tell my patients. The best mattress is the one with a 30 day, no hassle return policy, that pays money back, not just store credit.

there is no "best mattress." just a "best mattress for you." chances are you won't find that best one for you, but the idea is to get close enough.

When mattress shopping, look for the return policy. then bring in your pillow and lie down on the mattress. spend a few minutes 5-10 if you can on it and see if you notice any likes or dislikes.
A study I saw showed that the average mattress buyer tests a mattress for less than 10 seconds. This will give you no information about the expensive product you intend to use for the next 5-10 years.
If the salesperson doesn't like it, go to the next place, there are countless places to buy a mattress.
If you spend that time testing it, and buy it, it still may show problems in the first few hours or nights, hence the value of the return policy.

Generally speaking, you want your body position to be like it would if you were standing with good posture. thus, head not tilted to either side or notably forward or backward. feet/knees a bit apart from each other (pillow between knees or something like that). any potentially sagging spaces (like the space created by the neck being narrower than the head, and the midsection being narrower than the shoulders and hips) should be filled in and supported, with a pillow that will form fit, or maybe rolled up towels. In theory, memory foam/tempurpedic style mattresses and pillows make this the easiest, but it won't always be the best for everyone.

Just don't get stuck with a bad mattress, because they are expensive experiments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on the person, obviously, but try a Tempur mattress. They cost a lot, but you'll amortize the cost over years. My eyes bulged when I saw the price, but it was well worth it. Five years on, I don't remember exactly how much it cost and don't care. How much does a bad night's sleep cost you?

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
kmunny19 said:
As a Chiropractor, this is what I tell my patients. The best mattress is the one with a 30 day, no hassle return policy, that pays money back, not just store credit.

there is no "best mattress." just a "best mattress for you." chances are you won't find that best one for you, but the idea is to get close enough.

When mattress shopping, look for the return policy. then bring in your pillow and lie down on the mattress. spend a few minutes 5-10 if you can on it and see if you notice any likes or dislikes.
A study I saw showed that the average mattress buyer tests a mattress for less than 10 seconds. This will give you no information about the expensive product you intend to use for the next 5-10 years.
If the salesperson doesn't like it, go to the next place, there are countless places to buy a mattress.
If you spend that time testing it, and buy it, it still may show problems in the first few hours or nights, hence the value of the return policy.

Generally speaking, you want your body position to be like it would if you were standing with good posture. thus, head not tilted to either side or notably forward or backward. feet/knees a bit apart from each other (pillow between knees or something like that). any potentially sagging spaces (like the space created by the neck being narrower than the head, and the midsection being narrower than the shoulders and hips) should be filled in and supported, with a pillow that will form fit, or maybe rolled up towels. In theory, memory foam/tempurpedic style mattresses and pillows make this the easiest, but it won't always be the best for everyone.

Just don't get stuck with a bad mattress, because they are expensive experiments.
What do you recommend for stomach sleepers? I tried changing my sleeping position, but it just won't work on my side (bottom arm goes numb) or back (wake up every hour). I will often (2x/wk) wake up with some slight back pain.

I sleep in this position, except with a normal, flat pillow under my head and no body pillow on my side:

·
The Cube
1,201 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
What do you recommend for stomach sleepers? I tried changing my sleeping position, but it just won't work on my side (bottom arm goes numb) or back (wake up every hour). I will often (2x/wk) wake up with some slight back pain.

I sleep in this position, except with a normal, flat pillow under my head and no body pillow on my side:
stomach sleepers are tough. you tend to be more "addicted" to your sleep position than more traditional side/back sleepers, and have a tough time trying to change. it sounds like its not hurting you too badly, but I'd be willing to bet you're in considerably better shape, with better resilliance than a lot of patients I see. so you can get away with it better.

In the picture, I like the use of the body pillow combined with the knee up, as it makes the middle and upper back line up straighter with the low back, decreasing the amount of twist. something like that could diminish the back pain. Maybe try something like that to start, like a blanket folded repeatedly to support like the body pillow does, but not as high at first. you can always try folding it over more if you want more height out of it. if you're not getting neck pain, stick with the pillow the way you're using it now.

that'd be my thoughts, but as I said before, all sleep stuff is generally experimental.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I too am a stomach sleeper. Great info.

There is no way I can afford a Tempur right now. Cash flow just won't go for it. Esp as I need to invest in other furniture and a trainer. I am going to try the memory foam from Costco. Reviews good. Can try it for 30 days to know if I like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.