Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***NOTE---this is NOT spam...just trying to get some info on something I own***

I've got a Mavic 24" front disc that I purchased for my Shogun. Not using it, and going to sell it. Anybody have any idea when Mavic made these, and what they went for brand new? Also, how do you tell if it's a foam core or hollow? Unlike my HED disc, which you can see inside the disc at the valve stem, the Mavic appears solid, but I don't know if that's a function of aesthetics or of it's actually a solid core.

The wheel is all carbon for tubular tires. I can't remember if they were producing carbon rimmed disc wheels when the era of the funny bike ended. I would think it's newer than the early 90's, but who knows. Don't they use 24" wheels on juniors bikes?

Thanks for any assistance.

Brooks K.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
It's a track wheel

HED made a lot of specialty discs for MAVIC back in this time (80-mid 90's).

Since it was designed for track use, they did not design it with a braking surface. The HED wheels from that time were manufactured with the honeycomb or foam. You should be able to tell by pushing on the interior surface at the valve stem. If it is totally solid feeling, it is honeycomb. If it appears soft, it is foam.

Sorry, not much more than that. I will look through some of my old mag's and see if I can find more...

Is that yours out on ebay now??

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is...

That is my wheel on eBay. I didn't want to be a choade and post a link to it or declare to the world my auction. It would make my motives seem less sincere.

The last thing I want to do is use the forum to promote my auction. But since you asked, yes.

Brooks K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts