Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing some Mavic components on a Vitus and can't figure out how to correctly install cables in the 451 levers. They are of the aero variety, and unlike modern levers there is no stop molded into the back of the hood area. Instead, the housing/ferrule slides through the hood right into the back of the pivot on the top of the metal lever. As a result the whole cable/housing assembly moves when you squeeze the lever.

Hope you can make out what is going on in the second photo, as there is simply a slot in the back that leads directly into the mechanism of the lever.

Any experience with these that you might be able to share? Black Grey Metal Material property Silver
Brown Black Grey Costume accessory Sculpture

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local shop suggested that there were special ferrules with the Mavic levers, and that finding replacement would be very difficult - I wasn't too suprised by that!
The guys had a couple of cable stops from the top of an old set of Wienmann brake levers that they thought might work as a stand-in.

Because I had set up the levers right in my "sweet spot", I was a bit disappointed that I had to remove them in order to insert the part into the hood, but I made marks on the bars as a reference point for re-installation. I was pleased to find that the old stops work well.

Household hardware Metal Fastener Circle Cylinder

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
"There's a special satisfaction when a job turns out so right. Better break out the good stuff. Boss wants to party all night."

Best brakes I ever had are Mavic SST (IIRC). I have them on my Taiwan carbon Pedal Force bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.