Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen these advertised in the states other than OEM on certain bianchi models? If so how much do they run? Here in mexico I was offered a set at $350+/- at current rate of exchange.

I googled and found UK prices and others to be a whole lot less $250+/-. For example: Probikekit has them at $156 but the $64.41 surcharge they tack on puts them at $221.

Anyone have a set...? They look good, but I ain't gettin' ripped for another 100+ :rolleyes:

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i have about 395km on a pair of aksium wheelset and so far, it still does not spin as free as the campy protons at the same no. of km. the aksium is a fairly decent wheelset and seems reasonably at hill climbs but when it comes to freewheeling downhill, don't expect it to be a speed demon. it's a reasonable trainer wheel but i certainly would not use it for racing.

boon

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
The Aksiums have the same FTSL freehub as all the other Mavic roadwheels and the exact same bearings as the Ksyrium Elites for example. They are heavier than any other Mavic wheel, some 2kg so they're best for training. $350 is way too much money for them, $229 seems to be standard market price.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I can't understand why the Askium are SO ridiculously popular on new bikes... these wheels are HEAVY and have no place on a $2500+ bike!! There are so many good low-cost wheels, its ridiculous to spec these heavy wheels just for brand recognition.

·
Registered
563 Posts
MarvinK said:
I can't understand why the Askium are SO ridiculously popular on new bikes... these wheels are HEAVY and have no place on a $2500+ bike!! There are so many good low-cost wheels, its ridiculous to spec these heavy wheels just for brand recognition.
Some local lbs employee told me the Aksiums were 1700 grams. I looked at him and thought about asking, "where'd the other 300 grams go" but I didn't have the time or complete info on the set to bother.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While looking at other sites etc. I remembered a small detail about import duties here in Mexico. Imports from certain countries to Mexico have a 38% duty that accounts for the huge difference in price. Regardless... I really wasn't wanting the wheels anyway. Especially not at that price. Thanks for the information everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.