Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LBS has my frameset built up with Mavic Askiums and to swap any component is 25% off their price. Mavic Askiums seem to be the 'bargain' wheelset that a manufacturer can use to bring the price of a bike down (am I wrong?). My question is, should I swap out these wheels for another pair considering the 25%? I would ideally like to have a set for training but I don't want to be stuck with my 8yr old 404s for racing/big events because it doesn't seem to always be best suited to certain events. Therefore, I'd like something that's not a boat of a wheel but not something that will go out of true every 500 miles (and definitely not flexing, although I'm not a sprinter by any means).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm guessing that there is a bigger cost benefit to getting me wheels built like people talk about around this forum (in which I am completely helpless). Is this true?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'd take the Mavics with the bike regarless of if you want to use them or get something better. You can get 25% off bike shop prices on the internet if you want to upgrade and you'd have two sets of wheels (or the money from selling the Mavics instead of leaving them with the shop) instead of one like you would by swapping out at the shop.
Swapping out wheels for 25% off retail is not doing you any favors when you consider they keep the Mavics. Kind of a rip off actually unless the Mavics are worth less than 25% of what you end getting.
Or do I missunderstand this bikeshop 25% deal?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure I'm following either, but to answer part of your question: Aksiums are on Mavic's lower end but they're still a good wheelset. If you plan on having a set of race wheels Aksiums would make a fine set of training wheels to load the miles up on. I've got a set with probably 5-6k miles on them and I've touched up the truing a couple times but they still ride great. I'm 225 and not gentle BTW.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
As training wheels, only thing better than Aksiums is something with non-proprietary spokes, which could be a custom build in the end.

Fulcrum 7's/Campagnolo Khamsin's are of the same level imo, and have easily-replaceable spokes. Rear has 27 spokes as opposed to 24 on the Aksiums. They are a harsher ride though. One could argue the typical AlexRim set is enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.